Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
jacobdaughtry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Lemonade

Here is the recipe I ended up doing this morning:
4 lb Sugar
1 lb light DME
1 lb lactose
15 lemons - chosen arbitrarily (recipe: 12-24) but I juiced the lemons. Added that to the pot and chopped up 2 and put them in the pot.
Montrachet Yeast - 1 packet
5 gm of yeast nutrient

Procedure:
Juiced lemons. Diced two lemons after juiced (thought maybe the peel would add some bitterness to it)
Heated 1 gallon of water to a simmer.
Added fermentables (sugar,DME, juice) diced peels & lactose to pot and simmered x 20 minutes. Added yeast nutrient.
Cooled.
Added 3 gallons of cool water to fermenter, then added cool wort/???must???
Topped off with 1 gallon of cool water.
Checked gravity: 1.050
Added yeast. (Didn't use a starter - probably should have, but thought I might be willing to take a risk. If it isn't fermenting by tomorrow night I'll make a starter and add small portions of must slowly over a couple days then dump into fermenter.)

Later guys,
JDFROMJAX

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
jameswardpeterson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

lemon and other citrus fruit peels are composed of 2 parts, the rind, and the zest. the rind is bitter, and the zest holds strong flavor and sent of the fruit in the essential oils. you can use a carrot peeler, or a fine cheese grater, or ideally a zester to get the zest off of the whole citrus fruit. this zest can be used for flavoring without the bitterness of the peel. if you have a small distiller setup and know how to do it you can easily also make pure essential oils from the zest, though im not sure how you would combine the oil due to the fact it will not mix with water.

just thought that might help you out. please report back on how the hard lemonade goes, I havnt seen too many good recipes out there and im looking for a really good one.

best of luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply