Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > hard ice tea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
99expo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hard ice tea?

well i just made my first cider and it got me to thinking about other drinks i could just add some yeast to. i was looking at the Arizona iced tea and it says 100% natural, no preservatives, no artificial color-flavors. so it should work...right

I was just trying to make something my girlfriend would like.
any recipes would be helpful too

Is there anything beer can't do. - Hank Hill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
OdinOneEye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think tea wine would probably be something you'd want to reserve for cooking. I tried brewing up a batch of coffee wine once and... yea... it was seriously nasty. If you are going to make a tea wine, stick with loose tea leaves and/or tea bags and stay away from the bottled stuff.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Fermenting Arizonia iced tea will convert all of the sugar into alcohol leaving an astringent, bitter beverage that I doubt your gf would like. It's 10% sugar by weight, so sweetening it back to the original level with an unfermentable sugar (like lactose) would be pricy.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Could you ferment it for a while, then kill the yeast like a winemaker does? What are those, campden tablets? Add some more sugar, maybe some extra-light DME, to give it a little more sugar to start with? Would that make sense?

Not sure how you would then carb, though, unless you were kegging...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Could you ferment it for a while, then kill the yeast like a winemaker does? What are those, campden tablets? Add some more sugar, maybe some extra-light DME, to give it a little more sugar to start with? Would that make sense?

Not sure how you would then carb, though, unless you were kegging...
In the UK we don't get Arizona iced tea so can't comment on the product. I kind of guess you're thinking of a 'beer' style with this but instead of hops you'd use tea as a bittering/aroma ingredient. That would work but would be something of an acquired taste.

OdinOneEye - In the UK tea wines are usually made as a 'blender' to add to and balance other fruit brews that need a little more tannin. Definately not a drinking wine on it's own.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

It's not something that I would make, just trying to brainstorm a solution to the problem presented. Personally, I like my beers to taste like beer.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 619 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 56

A friend of mine from Georgia mixes drinks he calls "Ice Picks." A few ounces of vodka to a tall glass of southern sweet tea. It tastes pretty good, and there's no fermentation required!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
OdinOneEye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
In the UK we don't get Arizona iced tea so can't comment on the product. I kind of guess you're thinking of a 'beer' style with this but instead of hops you'd use tea as a bittering/aroma ingredient. That would work but would be something of an acquired taste.

OdinOneEye - In the UK tea wines are usually made as a 'blender' to add to and balance other fruit brews that need a little more tannin. Definately not a drinking wine on it's own.
Yeah, see, we don't have anything (that I know of) like that here in the US.

And it just goes to show... (obvious and probably insulting English joke coming up) the British aren't exactly known for their culinary skills AAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA.... oh God I'm sorry, but I just had to.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinOneEye
Yeah, see, we don't have anything (that I know of) like that here in the US.

And it just goes to show... (obvious and probably insulting English joke coming up) the British aren't exactly known for their culinary skills AAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA.... oh God I'm sorry, but I just had to.
Actually, England (London in particular) is touted as one of the top places in the world for fine cuisine.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinOneEye
(obvious and probably insulting English joke coming up) the British aren't exactly known for their culinary skills AAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA.... oh God I'm sorry, but I just had to.
It's a fair comment about the state of British cuisine across the board about 25 years ago. It's improved at restaurant level and in a lot of homes as improved wealth and foreign travel has widened peoples interest and expectations. By no means is this everywhere.
There are people who take real pride in British Cuisine or in using the best of British produce with skill to re-create dishes from overseas.
If you Google 'Rick Stein' or 'Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall' (two famous food writers in the UK with real passion for the subject) you'll find information about 'real' British food and produce - none of the 'battered and deep fried pizza', 'deep fried potatoes' and 'mechanically re-claimed meat burgers' that most of Britain can quite rightly be accused of living off.

Quick Reply