The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hard Cider Yeast question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
spriggan486
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hard Cider Yeast question.

So last night I got the hankerin for some hard cider. I plan on starting a batch when i get home from work tonight.

My question is this... Would it be ok to use Safeale US-05? It is all I have on hand at the moment. I have never used an ale yeast for a cider.

Any insight is much appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Ale yeasts will ferment ciders without any problems. You should ferment at the bottom of the temperature range if at all possible.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. If you don't mind answering another question....

I am using a pretty simple recipe as follows.

5 gallons of preservative free apple cider.
1lb of brown sugar.
1 packet of safale US-05

If started tonight, do you suppose I will have a decent product by thanksgiving?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's 2 months away...yes, definitely...

Old 09-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

spriggan486 - You may need to back sweeten a little, US-05 is a monster and will bring it pretty dry. You did not use too much sugar so it should be good, but save a few bottles and taste them 6 months, 12 months, and 2 years from now. You will be amazed at the changes and improvements, and make you start planning years in advance.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like to to bump US05 batches with 2lbs of sugar and cold crash around 1.008 - 1.010. It comes out great. I'd use a little lighter sugar, but it should taste OK if you only used a pound. If you ferment it dry, it will taste good in a year. If you cold crash it will taste good in 2-3 weeks.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up doing 2 pounds of sugar. How long should I cold crash it once it gets to 1.010?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Crash it for at least a day, two or three if you have time. The best sg to crash is partly a function of the acid balance in the juice and also your taste. I like it around 1.010, which is about half the sugar in most commercial ciders. If you like it sweeter, you might want to start checking for taste around 1.015 and if that is too sweet, you can always let it get drier.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
staggerlee
Recipes 

CK - when you advise people to cold crash, you should mention that if they're planning to bottle- or keg-carbonate, that might not be their best option.

I just about cold crashed my 2 batches this week - they're sitting at 1.008 right now and one of them (the one with the Lalvin 1116, oddly) tastes pretty decent right now. Problem is, the primary drinker of this cider (Mrs. Stagger) is keen to have it carbonated and I don't have the equpment (or the desire, really) to force-carb. So I'm waiting for it to go dry & I'll backsweeten with an unfermentable at bottling time.

Last edited by staggerlee; 09-30-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Staggerlee - Sorry, I should have been more explicit. You asked what would clear the cider after fermentation. I suggested that you search the forum on “cold crash” for more info. I presume this poster has read something about the process of cold crashing as well. This question comes up in almost every discussion about cold crashing.

Yes, that is the catch. You cant bottle carbonate a cold crashed cider. Hopefully it is somewhat self explanatory: If you remove or otherwise stop the yeast in a cider, it wont bottle carbonate. You will need to use a keg to add carbonation or drink it still. If you want to drink it dry and bottle carbonated, don’t stop the yeast. Cold crashing can address many of the difficulties of making good cider but not all of them.

Cider making is a lot more like making wine than beer. There is no easy recipe for bottle carbonated sweet cider (or bottle carbonating anything with a lot of fermentable sugar for that matter). Even most of the commercial cider houses use forced carb. The ones that still do it in the bottle are very few and most have been working it out for generations. Other than JKS dropping a few clues here and there, they don’t post much on HBT

I’m glad the 1116 is working for you . I might have let mine ferment out too far. What sort of apples are you using?

If you are dead set on bottle carbing, you can do that, but if you and your wife think it tastes pretty decent now, you should save a bottle or two so that you can remember what you had. You can ferment that last bit of apple sugar all the way out and then add something different to back sweeten. I will be very surprised if it tastes as good as it does now at 1.008, but wish you luck. That last bit of sugar hold a lot of the apple taste. You don’t get that back with splenda or lactose. D47 will preserve more of the apple taste when it gets completely dry (or did for me at least), but I’d prefer it still at 1.008 over perfectly carbed at 0.998.

Maybe you could use one of those seltzer bottles chargers and carb a liter at a time?

Quick Reply