Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hard Cider beginnings and problems
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
countethelred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Cider beginnings and problems

I was recently browsing the web and stumbled upon an easy recipe for some home-brew hard cider. I love cider and I enjoy alcohol so I thought I would look around for a more detailed instruction set. I am completely new to brewing and I tried to start with pure respect for process. I used a recipe that clearly stated the quality would not be as great if I would use higher quality materials more designed for the brewing. I used 1 gallon of 100% cider UV pasteurized with no preservatives, 1 package of active dry bakers yeast, about 3/4 a cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water to activate yeast. I began by sterilizing anything I would be using with either boiling water or alcohol. I activated the yeast with warm water for 10 minutes in a glass cup with a teaspoon of sugar. It doubled in size and cooled when I added it to the gallon of cider and sugar mixture. I then shook the mixture to aerate it very well and made sure everything was mixed. I put an airlock on the two bottles and put them in my cool dark closet. I took them out an hour later just to check them and it appeared the yeast had all settled to the bottom. I am curious if this will affect my fermentation? The yeast was activated as I could tell by all the foaming and doubling in size. Should I just keep mixing it till it starts to bubble? Thanks to all who are willing to read and help!

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You need to be of legal drinking age to be on this forum. Come back when you are legal and we will be happy to help you.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

What Nurmey said. Please come back and visit in April.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply