Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hard cider apple juice problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
There's not really much point to adding campden prior to fermentation if you're using shelf stable grocery store juice since there's no bugs in the juice for the yeast to compete with.

Using it after fermentation is a matter of preference and practices, and will help prevent infection and oxidation. Beware anyone who says you NEED to use or do anything, there's infinite ways to make delicious cider.
+1 to this. I just pour my ingredients into my fermentor and go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #22
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexan View Post

I made my first batch of cider yesterday and I did not camden tablets, are they needed? I called Northern Brewers and they just told me to double my yeast nutrient. For apple juice I used the Cosco brand that just has on the label "from freest pressed apples". For yeast I used the RED Star brand and I have my fridge set on 65 degrees. Should I have used actual cider, will the cider make because I did not use the camden tablets, and do I need to ferment at a higher temp? The apple juice turned from a crystal clear to a hazy gold color with a ring of bubbles around the edge and a few in and around the middle also SG was 1.050. What am I loping for in FG and time until completion?
You are doing fine, you can add the Campden or potassium metabisulphite granules when your cider is dry, if you choose to. Many people opt to add it 8-12-24 hours prior to pitching yeast because it not only inhibits wild yeast it is an antibacterial and antioxidant. In the future check labels for benzoate or sorbate, they can be present in even pasteurized and fresh pressed products, the benzoate causes more issues than sorbate.
As far as when you could anticipate that 1.050 to dry out to 1.000 or less I would say 3-8 days, depending on your yeast, nutrient status, temp, etc. You are at 65F so you will likely fall on the longer side. Always check the temp range for the yeast you are using. If you are asking about the ACV, assuming you ferment to 1.000 you are looking at approximately 6.5% ACV.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #23
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHC718 View Post
I used the apple & eve brand from Walmart. It says it contains the exact same ingredients.
INGREDIENTS:
100% APPLE JUICE (FILTERED WATER SUFFICIENT TO RECONSTITUTE APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C).
I added one crushed Campden tablet, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 3 cinnamon sticks. I let it sit for 24 hours before rehydrating and pitching the lalvin ec-1118 yeast. It's now in a 1 gallon glass jug with airlock in my dark closet room temperature. Do you ever add any more sugar or cinnamon sticks to your batch?
I generally add corn sugar, brown sugar will work just fine. As for cinnamon, three sticks depending on the age and quality could be a hefty but that is up to your plate.

I make 5-6 gallon batches, I add 2-3 lbs of corn sugar and let it go for up to three months rack it off of the yeast cake (the use that cake to make skeeter pee/hard lemonade). Then add the cinnamon to the secondary 2-3 sticks to 5-6 gallons. I generally don't drink cider less than 6 months old, most of the time I wait a year before drinking. Check out the link in my first post to EdWorts Apffelwein it is the recipe I started out with.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #24
Fermentdean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z
Your not going to see much "going on", perhaps a small ring of bubbles around the outer surface of the apple juice. As mentioned previously more often than not take 2-3 days before you may "see" any activity. As for the smell you have mentioned, if it is a strong sulfur smell this is normal, although in my experience when making 5 gallons batches I don't notice it until at least the 5-7 day mark, it is commonly referred to here on HBT as "rhino farts". I have made somewhere around 50 gallons of cider/apfelwein using EdWort's recipe/method with great success.
My home made recipe resembles EdWorts very closely, and yes after 3 glasses bliss happens.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
truck1985
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexan View Post
Would it be to late to put the Camden tablets in it now? I nixed it up yesterday about lunch time.
If you have pitched your yeast, yes, Campden is Sodiummetabisulfite in solid form, it will kill your yeast.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
truck1985
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
There's not really much point to adding campden prior to fermentation if you're using shelf stable grocery store juice since there's no bugs in the juice for the yeast to compete with.

Using it after fermentation is a matter of preference and practices, and will help prevent infection and oxidation. Beware anyone who says you NEED to use or do anything, there's infinite ways to make delicious cider.
While this is true, keep in mind that using campden after your fermentation will make it so you can't carbonate naturally. I have to worry about this because I bottle instead of kegging. Also keep in mind that the reason that using campden is promoted by many is because unlike beer, you do not boil to create a wort. Campden is therefore used to ensure that your must is sterile.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
truck1985
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHC718 View Post
I have it room temperature right now and I forgot to mention I put a cup of brown sugar and 3 cinnamon sticks in it 24 hours before adding the yeast. Does possibly the brown sugar or cinnamon sticks has something to do with this? I bought the cinnamon sticks from the home brew store and I had the brown sugar. I looked at it today before I left for work and nothing is going on again it's almost like the same problem I had with my last batch. If this doesn't work I'm going to probably go to Costco and get the apple juice brand I know others have said worked with no problem. This is turning into a real bummer considering this is supposed to be the easiest thing to brew 😕
Give it some time. Unlike beer that will show a very fast and furious fermentation, cider sometimes is more leisurely about fermenting.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
UncleWhomper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't use campden tablets. They make your brew smell and taste like crap, they also inhibit your yeast production. I just pasteurize on the stove top if need be before fermentation. Works out very well. I only use the campden tablets to sterilize equipment.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #29
truck1985
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWhomper View Post
Don't use campden tablets. They make your brew smell and taste like crap, they also inhibit your yeast production. I just pasteurize on the stove top if need be before fermentation. Works out very well. I only use the campden tablets to sterilize equipment.
What do you mean by pasteurize before fermentation? You have to be careful about heating your must before fermentation as this could cause pectins in the juice to "open" and congeal. I've used campden successfully, and never noticed any foul odor or taste from it.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1985 View Post
While this is true, keep in mind that using campden after your fermentation will make it so you can't carbonate naturally. I have to worry about this because I bottle instead of kegging. Also keep in mind that the reason that using campden is promoted by many is because unlike beer, you do not boil to create a wort. Campden is therefore used to ensure that your must is sterile.
No, this is incorrect.

Campden does not kill yeast. Especially not a healthy colony at maximum population, and especially not a commercial strain. Even most wild yeasts will not be killed, although they may be slightly inhibited momentarily if in early stages.

It does kill bacteria and other spoilage organisms, as well as protect against oxidation.

It does not prevent bottle conditioning, nor does it make must or cider sterile.
swampcider Likes This 

Quick Reply