Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hard cider apple juice problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexan View Post
Would it be to late to put the Camden tablets in it now? I nixed it up yesterday about lunch time.
You are probably better off not opening it again right now. Let it go and see what happens.

A lot of people made really good wines and ciders before they knew they "needed" campden.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
WTexan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy
You are probably better off not opening it again right now. Let it go and see what happens.

A lot of people made really good wines and ciders before they knew they "needed" campden.
Is the Camden used before fermentation when you pitch yeast or after fermentation?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
stevetree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Camden tablets are used at least 24 hours before you pitch your yeast. They prevent the natural yeast that is present in unpasteurized from reproducing.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
stevetree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetree
Camden tablets are used at least 24 hours before you pitch your yeast. They prevent the natural yeast that is present in unpasteurized from reproducing.
*present in unpasteurized juice

BTW I have used Santa Cruz organic, Martinelli's, and the cheap store brands and all are fermenting. We'll see which tastes best soon

Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexan View Post
Would it be to late to put the Camden tablets in it now? I nixed it up yesterday about lunch time.

50 gallons or so and I have never used a Camden tablet. And generally the juice I use is the Member Mark brand from Sam's Club.

mm-apple-juice.jpg

Ingredients:
Filtered water, apple juice concentrate, ascorbic acid (vitamin c).

Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
WTexan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z

50 gallons or so and I have never used a Camden tablet. And generally the juice I use is the Member Mark brand from Sam's Club.

Ingredients:
Good to know. Thanks everyone for the help

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's not really much point to adding campden prior to fermentation if you're using shelf stable grocery store juice since there's no bugs in the juice for the yeast to compete with.

Using it after fermentation is a matter of preference and practices, and will help prevent infection and oxidation. Beware anyone who says you NEED to use or do anything, there's infinite ways to make delicious cider.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Howiedw
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post

Attachment 104739

Ingredients:
+1 to this. I'v made 30 or gallons of Drunken Emu and Graff and only had to dump 1 batch due to not reading lables. I generally use whatever is in sale cheapest. Last few batches used Safeway brand 100% Juice for $1.49 per 1/2 gal.

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager
Bottled : Drunken Emu
Kegged : Garage Hooch, Garage Hooch Pale Mk II
On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/

Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
NYHC718
Recipes 

I have it room temperature right now and I forgot to mention I put a cup of brown sugar and 3 cinnamon sticks in it 24 hours before adding the yeast. Does possibly the brown sugar or cinnamon sticks has something to do with this? I bought the cinnamon sticks from the home brew store and I had the brown sugar. I looked at it today before I left for work and nothing is going on again it's almost like the same problem I had with my last batch. If this doesn't work I'm going to probably go to Costco and get the apple juice brand I know others have said worked with no problem. This is turning into a real bummer considering this is supposed to be the easiest thing to brew 😕

Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
NYHC718
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post

Attachment 104739

Ingredients:
I used the apple & eve brand from Walmart. It says it contains the exact same ingredients.
INGREDIENTS:
100% APPLE JUICE (FILTERED WATER SUFFICIENT TO RECONSTITUTE APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C).
I added one crushed Campden tablet, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 3 cinnamon sticks. I let it sit for 24 hours before rehydrating and pitching the lalvin ec-1118 yeast. It's now in a 1 gallon glass jug with airlock in my dark closet room temperature. Do you ever add any more sugar or cinnamon sticks to your batch?

Quick Reply