Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Graff Recipe and Potassium Sorbate Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Graff Recipe and Potassium Sorbate Question

Went to local orchard/winery to buy fresh unfiltered apple cider to use in this recipe. I have all the other ingredients. I noticed on the label that the cider was UV treated and it said "not more than 1/10 of 1% of potassium sorbate added as preservative". I assume this will not allow me to use it as I remember the potassium sorbate will not allow the yeast to replicate. Am I correct in thinking that it won't ferment even though it said only 1/10th of 1%added? As a side note the cider was $6.50 a gallon. Tasted a sample.... It was damn good and would love to use it as the base for my first Graff batch.

Cheers,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

1 gallon of water = 3780gms * .1 *.01 = 3.78 gms sorbate per gallon. The normal dose for wine for backsweetening purposes is 1 gm/gallon. Apple cider would have a greater specific gravity than water but I'm not sure of the math on that. Looks like the cider has a hefty dose of sorbate. However, sorbate does not stop yeast from fermenting sugar-it prevents the yeast from budding or reproducing. I think if you overpitched the yeast it would ferment fine. I would be more concerned of potential flavor problems with the high amount of sorbate.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been able to get cider with potasium sorbate to ferment out but it didnt taste very good - especially near the end of the ferment. Probably because the yeast were not reproducing and were getting old by the end of the ferment. It might be worthwhile doing a 2nd pitch halfway through.

Next time, see if you can talk the folks in the press into selling you some juice before it hits the UV and they dose it. It will clear better and taste better. Most likely, there is someone at the press who makes hard cider or has friends who do. If you talk to the right person at the press, they can hook you up when it is time to press the good cider apples.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks....I'll start calling around to see if I can get some fresh pressed. Wish me luck
Cheers

Quick Reply