Graff- its amazing!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camatt2989

Reaction score
So I started my graff on Sunday and everything seemed to be going quite well i had a good two inches of krausen the next day it turned to a beautiful frosty white head now its all gone... i began to worry about my yeast, i took a gravity reading 1.010... this stuff is flying i used white labs ale yeast and changed the recipe a tad and added no hops. the sample smelled great so i tasted it woww this stuff is coming along very nicly it tastes good now i cant wait till its finished!!! brew some!!

I'm making some in about 30 minutes! Is krausen normal on this stuff? I know Apfelwein doesn't have any. I'm asking because I'm putting about 5 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy, and don't want to lose a lot of product to blow off.

like i said i had like none... should have posted this before aswell... i changed my light dme with wheat and if i prepaird enough i would have backsweetened with lactose that said i think the wheat alone did the trick next batch ill monkey around... i think its still gonna be somewhat dry seing how 4 days in i already hit 6.5

i used white labs, wlp002 and didnt have time to pitch... my other cider went after a day or so so i chucked it right in.

I just did my first graff last Thursday, it had about 2" krausen, same as OP. I used US-05 at 62 degrees. I racked at 1.010 and sample already tasted quite good. Cant wait to see it in a couple more weeks. If it gets better with a little age, I will be impressed how quick of a turnaround it is to start enjoying.

I just did my first graff last Thursday, it had about 2" krausen, same as OP. I used US-05 at 62 degrees. I racked at 1.010 and sample already tasted quite good. Cant wait to see it in a couple more weeks. If it gets better with a little age, I will be impressed how quick of a turnaround it is to start enjoying.

what was your OG? I started at 1.060 im down to 1.010 and still haulin right along

1.055. I cold crashed mine at 1.010 so it would keep some of the sweetness and aroma. The sample had a nice tart taste with a little sweetness, not too dry.

Graff was the second thing I ever made, and I have to say it is one of my favorites. I always have some bottled, and I'm making another batch this weekend.

It's also really easy to make! I'd definately recommend it to any newbie brewer.

Just pitched last Sunday (4 nights ago). No Krausen, gentle apple smell, still dark and cloudy...

How long 'til it starts to clear?

I used 3.5 gallons of some kosher AJ, but it was a year old and quite carmelly and a dark hue. The rest was the water (and additives) and 1/2 gallon of standard store juice. I used the Crystal 120, figuring that I would need the support of the extra sweetness and carmel flavors... I might have done that differently, but it's all in the carboy now.

So looking forward to it!

I did mine with 3lb marris otter, .5lb crystal 120, 2 oz torr wheat and .5oz mt hood with s04 yeast. my og was 1.054, mine doesnt have much of a krausen on it either, maybe half inch.

I've got 12 gallons of Graf (with caraway seed) in primary right now & will brew up another 6 gallons as soon as this year's apple crop is pressed.

I know graff is good at a young age, but I dare you to age it 3 months or more -- holy ****ing ****! EPIC! :D

I was planning on bottling a few into champagne bottles... i was lucky enough to brew this on 10-10-10 so id like to try and age it a while...probably wont make it very long!:mug:

I was planning on bottling a few into champagne bottles... i was lucky enough to brew this on 10-10-10 so id like to try and age it a while...probably wont make it very long!:mug:

Son-of-a-gun... I hadn't thought of that. I made MINE Sunday night, also. Wow, now I gotta think of a super-cool-special name for it. Heh.

Oh, and I'm going to have to give a bottle to one of the folks at work... his birthday was 10-10-10.

Yea i hadn't realized at the time myself... i thought a few days later i should have taken advantage of the date and still not realized until i asked my girlfriend what the date i brewed on for my notes... needless to say i felt like a moron... but hey it was a day off and i rarely get those

I know graff is good at a young age, but I dare you to age it 3 months or more -- holy ****ing ****! EPIC! :D

I completely realize this is a noob question, but when you say "age it"

do you mean 3 months in the carboy, or 3 months in bottle/keg? :confused:

Back