Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > graff help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
StevenM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default graff help please

up to this point, I have been doing ciders and meads with wine yeasts. i started a graff about 2 weeks ago and just realized a potential problem. Th starting gravity if dried all the way out would give me a etoh content of 8%. However I used a nottingham yeast not knowing that it only goes about 6-7%. I haven't checked to see if it has dried all the way out yet. My plan was to bottle condition and pasteurize when bottles were carbed up. I don't have a keg set up. Now to the question. How to bottle carb a graff that may have exhaused its yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
ColbyJack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you let it ferment all the way dry, then by adding your standard amount of priming sugar, you shouldn't have to pasteurize, much like a beer. Now regarding your exhausted yeast I would guess that the yeast will still be alive enough to carbonate. Did you add any yeast nutrients or energizers? The worst that could happen is you get an off taste or smell from stressed yeast. The least that could happen is it poops out a little early, and you have a sweet product. If it were mine, I would let it dry out, rack into a bottling bucket with a sprinkle of wine yeast in there, then bottle and pasteurize. Or you could add wine yeast now. How does it taste and smell now? What's your SG?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply