Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Good results so far...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
RandallT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good results so far...

After some failed experiments with juice these last two weeks I think I am excited about what is happening. Saturday afternoon I mixed up three gallons of organic pasteurized cider with White Labs English Ale yeast-liquid type. When I got up Sunday morning the airlock was bubbling away! Would it behoove me to every once in a while give the bottle a gentle shake to help keep the yeast activity going, or not? I did so yesterday and it seemed to revive the yeast a bit. I am keeping track of the bubbles per minute out of the airlock. I now have an idea of making some cherry/pomegranate cider. Would the same yeast be a good match for this concoction?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Yes, stirring the yeast in primary is a fantastic thing to do. You may also be stirring up the sugars, and this helps speed fermentation and make the whole process go to completion.

As for the other concoction, if you like the way your cider is turning out, then the concoction should be pretty good as well.

As an aside: a hydrometer is far more accurate than airlock bubbles to measure fermentation.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
RandallT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Justi,
Thanks for the advice. I have shaken it up once or twice a day since Monday, and it does seem to revive the process a bit. The cherry cider I threw together on Wednesday afternoon is fermenting well-just a gallon on this one using liquid White Labs English Cider yeast. I lost a bit of the vial when I opened it-bursting out of the container so I learned something there about the liquid yeast.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Please note that Justibone said the primary. After about 2 weeks you should move it to the secondary and leave it alone. In fact, you will want to sort of stop shaking it a few days before racking so that it can clear a little bit.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
RandallT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Candle,
Thanks for the tip. When I rack it from the carboy to one gallon jugs for secondary fermentation should I install airlocks or maybe just plug loosely?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
Candle,
Thanks for the tip. When I rack it from the carboy to one gallon jugs for secondary fermentation should I install airlocks or maybe just plug loosely?
As a rule of thumb, always airlock it if you have the equipment. Certain lambics, apfelmust, etc. in primary are notable exceptions, but if you have the ability, in most cases, you will want to use an airlock, and that goes DOUBLE for anything in secondary.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agree with Justibone. Some of my older batches I swapped the airlock for a plug, and then came back and the plug was missing. I guess it blew it. Still experimenting with at what point an airlock can be swapped out.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Agree with Justibone. Some of my older batches I swapped the airlock for a plug, and then came back and the plug was missing. I guess it blew it. Still experimenting with at what point an airlock can be swapped out.
I use an airlock from the day I put it into secondary, until I bottle. Sometimes, that's months or even years. I just have to remember to check the airlocks every few months, to make sure they haven't evaporated!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
RandallT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Justi,
Thanks a lot for your advice. I have been wanting to get involved in home brewing for a long time but never found adequate help to get started until I found this site.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
RandallT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yooper,
Thanks again. Now that I am gaining a little confidence in what I am doing I am looking forward to trying many different types of cider and imparting what knowledge I have gained to others who are getting interested.

Quick Reply