Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > good cider apples

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
sashurlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default good cider apples

So I have planted some cider apples for my habit. So far I have a Roxbury Russett, a golden russett, two Calville Blancs (a replacement and one that is almost dead), a mystery apple grown from seed, a golden sentinel and northpole, all from Miller's. (also a wild crab, and a decorative crab, another crab is down the road and not in somebody's yard). None are bearing yet.
What are good cider apples and where do you buy them? I have room for one or two more.
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
minsco1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I haven't done a pressed batch yet, I decided to hold off until next season (I've already got a lot of information to digest). But, out of the research I've done for when I do dive in, I've found a couple very informative resources.

These are all from the same site, which is extremely helpful in its entirety, but these links are more specific to what you're requesting:

http://www.cider.org.uk/part2.htm - This includes some repeat information from the second link (regarding vintage quality cider apples), but has a lot of additional information about cider apple tree management.
http://www.cider.org.uk/appledat.htm - A very inclusive list of cider apple varieties as well as their cider making-relevant characteristics.
http://www.cider.org.uk/identificati...der_apples.pdf - Possibly helpful in identifying the unknown varieties that you already have.

Last edited by minsco1; 01-16-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: sp

Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with Ida Reds. And Spigolds. favorites of mine.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

I've heard really good things about Kingston Black as a single variety cider cultivar.
You might find this useful: http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/20...-cider2008.htm
Scroll down for the list of cultivars they carry. Regards, GF.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If your looking for english cider apples that is a whole 'nother bag.

I can't speak from experience with these, but here are the English varities I am putting in next spring:

1. Kingston black
2. Yarlington mills
3. Bulmers Norman
4. Coxs Orange Pippin
5. Golden Hornet
6. Roxbury russet

Check out cummins nursery in ithaca, Ny - they have all the cider apples and usually will get you some, even if they are all sold out from big orders. Be sure to call or write an email - they are sold out of a lot of the heirloom varieties, but sometimes they can get you a couple.

http://www.cumminsnursery.com/cidervar.htm

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
sashurlow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So I got one Kingston Black from Raintree out of the Pac NW. It seemed to be a classic cider apple, even though it seems to have low yield. Considering how hard it was to get my wife to let me buy it, this is the last apple I will get to plant. Of course this will be the 11th tree on a .5 acre lot. She might have a point...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Haha - good for you sashurlow - better to have too many trees on your property than too few

I have read that KB have low yields and are spotty producers. I bought 4 to try them out since I heard they were sporadic producers.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yarlington Mill, Dabinett, Harry Masters Jersey are bittersweets which tend to get a high pH. Kingston black is a bittersharp with lower pH. These bitter apples need blending with low tannin, high acidity apples. Sweet Alford is a good sweet variety for blending but russet apples are also said to be good for cider, useful for blending. You may find that some English varieties don't perform so well for you if your climate is very cold. Kingston Black is said to do well in warm dry climates but not so well in cold wet climates. Yarlington mill and dabinett may be better for cold places.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashurlow View Post
So I got one Kingston Black from Raintree out of the Pac NW. It seemed to be a classic cider apple, even though it seems to have low yield. Considering how hard it was to get my wife to let me buy it, this is the last apple I will get to plant. Of course this will be the 11th tree on a .5 acre lot. She might have a point...
Here's a link you may find useful, or at least interesting & encouraging: http://www.povertylaneorchards.com/f...ingston-black/
Regards, GF.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

One suggestion... and it sounds dumb.... Make sure your cider apple choices come due around the time you want to be making cider, and mostly at the same time as eachother.... or you will be freezing a whole lot of apples.... or making single-variety ciders and blending them later on.... It also makes pollination go better when they are flowering at the same time...

Some of the early season apples come off in August and September - but there is such a huge flurry of activity around that time with the end of the gardening season and picking everything else that needs picking.... putting the yard to bed for the winter, etc.... There are a bunch of crabs that come due in Early September... Not exactly prime cider making season for me....

Personally, I like the apples that you can either leave on the tree or pick and store in the cellar until you are ready to press them.... rather than the ones that have to be picked and then milled within a few days... January is a great cider making time of year... and the apples that still hang on the tree are usually sugared up pretty nicely by now...

Thanks

John

Quick Reply