Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Good 3 Gallon carboy size recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1g yeast / gallon juice is my rule of thumb. Over-pitching will result in a yeast over saturation that crowds the yeast and forces competition and limits healthy reproduction which may result in off flavors. Under pitching results in too long a lag/growth phase which increases the chance of infection as well as forces the yeast to reproduce in your juice which can also hurt healthy reproduction and also give off flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
kjames3
Recipes 

wasnt trying to save yeast, just didnt know if too much would have adverse effects. Started this with no brewing experience whatsoever. Ended up doing a 3gal batch and a 5gal batch. The smaller one has completed fermenting after 8 days. according to the hydrometer it has 8.5% by vol. next question would be, Should I pasteurize the finished product before bottling? and if so how would i go about that?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll take a stab at your question there but assume you either found the answer or bottled anyway.

You don't need to pasteurize beer as long as your sanitation was good from the start, you've done pretty much all you can to avoid infection. Just make sure those bottles are santized really well and the priming sugar is boiled and bottle away!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My first couple batches were 3 gallons.
Fresh pressed Farm Cider + 5g packet of your choice (Lalvin 71b-1122) milder and a little sweeter result than EC-1188.
Add 3 cups of sugar for a higher alcohol content.(your choice of sugars)
Favorite batch was 1.5 cups dark brown sugar and 1.5 cups of molasses.
1/2 cup priming sugar for bottling.
(Also added 6Tbsp Xylitol for a little sweetness)
OG 1.074, FG 0.998. Nice amber color, slightly sweet sparkling cider.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
cgenebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

the reason people talk about pasteurizing cider is to halt fermentation, not to keep it from going bad. If you ferment out dry (the yeast eat all the sugar they can) then there is no need to pasteurize. If you are bottling before fermentation is COMPLETELY done, you need to kill the yeast in some fashion.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

CG, that might have been my issue with my ciders.....both batches are "drinkable" if you try really hard but I was sad that they haven't been getting much better. Might have wanted to kill the little yeasties off.

Anyone used a Munton's kit to brew a 3 or 2.5 gallon batch? My LHBS went out of business and was giving these hopped extract kits away for free. So, I can make a 5 gal with it if I wanted to add more extract, but I just want to see how it works with a smaller amount. the extract kit is supposed to be 1.8kg and I wasn't sure how get the right amount of extract/water ratio. Anyone know?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
1g yeast / gallon juice is my rule of thumb. Over-pitching will result in a yeast over saturation that crowds the yeast and forces competition and limits healthy reproduction which may result in off flavors. Under pitching results in too long a lag/growth phase which increases the chance of infection as well as forces the yeast to reproduce in your juice which can also hurt healthy reproduction and also give off flavors.
This isn't true. Yeast will multiply up to a colony size where the food is able to sustain them. Overpitching is only detrimental when your yeast supply is limited in the packaging.

I don't know where people get the ideas where double the yeast will speed up a process or will cause a yeasty taste in the final product. It's just simply not true.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I don't know where people get the ideas where double the yeast will speed up a process or will cause a yeasty taste in the final product. It's just simply not true.
x2 to this.
The yeast packets even say 1-5 gallons right on the back.
I am more inclined to believe the manufacturers when it comes to proper yeast usage.
I have used 5g of yeast for 6.5 gallon batches of cider and for 1gallon batches of wine. No ill effects or lengthy lag time either way.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames3 View Post
Just starting out and am looking for a good starter recipe and working with a 3 gal carboy, any help would be appreciated
You can scale down, or up, ANY recipe. Here's a good place to look for recipes:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/

You might try Ed Wort's apfelwein recipe, I don't think it gets any easier than that:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/

My favourite is Brandon O's graf. It's a little more involved, but still really easy & VERY TASTY:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...-cider-117117/

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
This isn't true. Yeast will multiply up to a colony size where the food is able to sustain them. Overpitching is only detrimental when your yeast supply is limited in the packaging.

Just to play devil's advocate: If the amount of yeast pitched doesn't matter, then why do brewers make such a big deal about making a starter?

Just because you can ferment a five gallon batch with a few grains of yeast, it doesn't mean you should.

Quick Reply