Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > getting a sweet sparkling cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
benyalom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
One thing not mentioned here. If you are timid about pasteurizing using boiling water, you can always ferment a batch to bone dry, then back sweeten to your taste using a non fermentable sweetener such as stevia, splenda, lactose, or several others. Once you have it sweetened to taste, add the proper amount of priming sugar for your batch (corn sugar, table sugar, maple syrup etc). Then bottle. The priming sugar will get eaten by the yeast left in suspension and won't over carbonate provides it was done fermenting in the carboy.
Thanks for all the feedback. So this is a little complicated! Question about the above comment - does this imply that one CAN ferment it all the way out, and then add a little priming sugar/something fermentable, and bottle without everything exploding. Meaning if it's dry enough/done fermenting in the carboy, I can get carbonation through the yeast - it will just stay pretty dry?

As far as SG goes, what's dry, semi-dry, etc.?

Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
benyalom
Recipes 

Re "Ever consider Brandon O's Graff?"

No - what's that?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyalom View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. So this is a little complicated! Question about the above comment - does this imply that one CAN ferment it all the way out, and then add a little priming sugar/something fermentable, and bottle without everything exploding. Meaning if it's dry enough/done fermenting in the carboy, I can get carbonation through the yeast - it will just stay pretty dry?

Thanks so much!
Yes.

Dry is without any measurable sugars/sweetness, generally .990-.998. Off dry is usually 1.000 or so. Semi sec can be 1.004-1.008 while semi dry can be 1.000-1.003. I think of "sweet" as anything above about 1.010 or so. Those aren't the official definitions, just my interpretation of those terms.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyalom
Re "Ever consider Brandon O's Graff?"

No - what's that?
Here ya go.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
benyalom
Recipes 

Thanks - so many tasty things to make and drink!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyalom

Thanks so much!
What you're describing will create a dry carbonated cider. Try it, it will surprise you how good it actually is.

It's not overly complicated. Ferment to dry, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup priming sugar per 5 gallon batch, mix well, and bottle right away. The result is a dry sparkling cider.

If you want it sweet and sparkling, sweeten it with a non fermentable sweetener (stevia works awesome for me at 2tsp per 5 gallon batch for very sweet) and then add the 1/2 to 3/4 cup of priming sugar (table sugar or corn sugar) and mix well and bottle. This produces a sweet sparkling cider.

Neither method should create bottle bombs so long as your measurements are correct for your batch size.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

As posted above, there is always the pasteurizing sticky. Even if you don't go this route, there is more knowledge in that whole thread than most of the rest of the cider forum. It's a VERY good read.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Fossil
Recipes 

Default Only way I can think of to do it

Gidday from Australia.
I seriously believe that you cannot make sweet sparkling cider unless adding the sugar just before drinking.
I recently made my first batch using pink lady apples as we do not have the same varieties to choose from as you. Once fully fermented and racked to pure clear liquid and with SG at zero and alcohol at 7% it seems to lose all of its apple flavour and does not taste very nice at all.
I then pasteurised at 70 deg C on the stove top for 30 minutes.
I then had clear, dry cider with no yeast living in it.
By retaining some of the yeast from the bottom of the container at racking you can now add 5 gms of sugar syrup, (must be syrup not granulated) to a 500 ml bottle, add a little yeast liquid then let the yeast go to work. When that 5 gms of sugar has been consumed your bottle would have the right amount if gas in it to sparkle ( in our warm client it takes about two weeks to fizz up). Once that sugar has been consumed the yeast have nothing left so they will go dormant.
Then you need to consult the chart that came with your hydrometer. I calculated that 13 gms of sugar per litre is required to bring your dry cider up to semi-sweet.
So make your sugar syrup by adding a little water to your sugar and stir over low heat until it is a clear liquid. How you add 6 gms to your 500 ml bottle is up to you but I am considering buying an injector of some sort to squirt exactly that amount into a sparkling glass of chilled cider. Yes we like it cold.
Result? You should now have SWEET SPARKLING CIDER without too much fiddling around. As the stock of dry cider has zero sugar in it, it is not going to burst your bottles either, so you can store it on a shelf forever without blowing up the kitchen.

Rgds Cliff Ferguson
Perth, Western Australia.
cliffo@iinet.net.au

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Or, you can ferment your cider to dry and allow it to clear.
Sweeten to taste(the amount of sugar required to carbonate isn't a lot) and bottle in beer or swing top bottles, filling a small plastic pop bottle up at the same time.
When the pop bottle is hard, drink it and pasteurize all your bottles.

End result = sweet, sparkly and no bottle bombs.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would suggest using weight with measuring your priming sugar instead of volume. A 1/2 cup of table sugar is usually different from a 1/2 cup of corn sugar. It's trial and error usually, so if you have the weight in your notes, next time you can add a .25 oz up or down and get closer. Just my opinion of course...

Quick Reply