Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Getting ready to attempt my first batch, does this seem right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
bfinleyui
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Excellent. Compared to brewing beer, this is easy peasy. Looks like I might have to add "Gallons of apple juice" to the list of things I'm willing to buy at costco...

In terms of yeast, right now at home I have Safale US-04, and Danstar Nottingham. Also have easy access to US-05 Everyone seems to have their own preference, which is going to be the 'safest' choice, in terms of making a generic bubbly cider? I was leaning toward US-04, since that's the only one not already spoken for in another recipe...

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
bfinleyui
Recipes 

After reading some more on these forums, this is what i ended up with:

Ingredients
5 Gallons Country Fare Apple Juice (unsweetened, pasteurized, from concentrate, no preservatives)
4 pounds Dextrose
8.9 oz brown sugar

Starter
.5L Apple Juice
25g Dextrose
1 package Safale US-04

Stir plate for 15 minutes with juice and dextrose, then add yeast, stir for ~20 minutes, settle to verify yeast replication, then turn on until ready for pitching, ~20 minutes later.

Details

Mixed it all in a bottling bucket, for an accurate measurement of volume, and ease of mixing/gravity readings.

Started with just 3 pounds of dextrose, but the OG was only 1.070. Put another pound in, only got to about 1.073, mixed harder, added 8.9 ounces brown sugar (was aiming for 8, but overshot). Took another reading, 1.080.

Put most of it into a 5G better bottle, the rest (almost a full gallon) into one of the apple juice jugs.

Poured most of the starter into the BB, saved a little for the gallon jug.

Put a stopper and a blowoff tube into the BB, sterilized tin foil with a few small holes poked in it on the gallon jug. Put into a Cool Brewing bag with a half gallon of ice at about 7:30PM.

Plan
Ferment until 1.020 (probably 6-7 days), then bottle, putting some in a plastic coke bottle. When the bottle gets hard, start checking daily for carbonation levels. When it’s the right level, stovetop pasteurize to kill the yeast.

Conditioning:

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Sounds like you know what you are doing.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Do you plan on clearing the cider at all? Cold crash, clearing agents, and /or gelatin? Aging is also good.. 1 month to 3 months you can definitely tell a difference.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
bfinleyui
Recipes 

I'm in an apartment, so I don't really have the space to do a cold crash or anything. This is more an experimental batch to see if I'm not awful at cider.

If this doesn't come out as clear as I'd like, I've got a couple options, i could try nottingham, which is a bit more flocculant, or do the whole process in my future father-in-law's garage, where I would have room for a cold crash in his garage fridge.

Conditioning:

Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

One thing I skimmed over, you may want to fashion an airlock for the juice bottle. You'll probably be fine with the tinfoil, but personally, I'd feel safer with an actual airlock. As for cold crashing, you could put it on a balcony, if you have one and it's cold out where you are from. I've been cold crashing on my porch (in Michigan). You only need to cold crash for a couple days, so you could just slap a solid bucket lid on there, throw it in your car, and leave it at your future FIL's for a couple days.

You can also use gelatin, although I have not done this myself.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Yeah, I tried to find anything that would fit, but nothing would create a seal. I suppose I could drill a hole through one of the existing lids, and cram an airlock in there, but that wouldn't necessarily be air tight without some type of grommet. It's inside a cool brewing bag, which should keep most of the nasties out. If i lose that last 3/4 of a gallon, not the biggest deal in the world. I just didn't wanna use my full-size better bottle, as I've got a few beers I want to make soon.

Conditioning:

Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
I suppose I could drill a hole through one of the existing lids, and cram an airlock in there, but that wouldn't necessarily be air tight without some type of grommet.
I have done this in the past and it has worked great. Even if it isn't 100% air tight, it will be pretty darn close (as long as you are careful cutting the hole).

If you drill a proper hole, the right size and perfectly round, then chances of any baddies getting in are rediculously small (there is a better chance of something getting in when you open it to stir/add nuetrient/test SG/rack/etc.).

I have used a drilled hole in on a 1 gallon bucket for years now with not problems. So I'd say that a drilled hole with an airlock is your best bet.

And no, I didn't need a grommet.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9 View Post
I have done this in the past and it has worked great. Even if it isn't 100% air tight, it will be pretty darn close (as long as you are careful cutting the hole).

If you drill a proper hole, the right size and perfectly round, then chances of any baddies getting in are rediculously small (there is a better chance of something getting in when you open it to stir/add nuetrient/test SG/rack/etc.).

I have used a drilled hole in on a 1 gallon bucket for years now with not problems. So I'd say that a drilled hole with an airlock is your best bet.

And no, I didn't need a grommet.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot tonight.
Conditioning:

Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Clearing is overrated anyway. If it tastes good...after a couple of bottles of 8% ABV cider...no one is going to care if it's clear or not. haha

Congrats on getting married.

Quick Reply