Garbage disposal grinders: I killed it!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
The wife won't be happy about this.
I have a cooler full of whitney crabs and way less than 1/4 of the apples the grinder quits... Completely. Someone who knows garbage disposals better than me tell me how to fix it please.
Scott
Btw... the juice coming out with the grinds is deep red and nice and tart. I can't wait to brew this stuff (with a little mixing with a sweet apple).

Who knew, there is a little button on the bottom of the unit that pops when it over heats. I need to wait for it to cool down AND pop the button. Of course, it triggered again...

Take a plunger turn on the faucet and plunge the hell out of it. It should clear up. Don't grind crabs in your sink.

Just an FYI I just cured my plumbing of a 19 pound grain bill this way. I thought "heck I can throw a chicken down there, it can handle a mess of grain." Turns out it cant - or it could but the drains can't.

Even though you found out what it is to fix it, let it be mentioned that it's possible for the disposal to get stuck which can then trigger a thermal cutout. Sometimes, in order for it to start moving again, you would need a key (more or less a hex wrench) that fits into the the underside of the disposal unit which you turn (I can't recall which direction is recommended) to free up whatever got jammed.

So I've had some more use with my grinder and can give a better opinion now.
They are not perfect. The bad...They over heat too easily. So far I am working for about 5 minutes till it over heats, then waiting 15 minutes for it to cool down and repeat. If the motor strains too much I have to turn it off, stick my hand inside the grinder and loosen up and free up any stuck apples. So its quite messy.
The good... It grinds apples VERY well. Considering last year I used a food processor, it is much faster and above all, easier. I have found that the medium apples I am grinding now are much easier on the grinder than the small crabs I was grinding earlier. Unfortunately with large apples, you have to cut them in half. Not a huge deal in my opinion. For the crabs, I found that scooping some ground apples and re-processing it cleared out the grinder and kept is smoother. So far with the larger apples this is not an issue.
I'll probably use this till it dies and then build a more traditional grinder.

Back