Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Gallon Jug Aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
guscampag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gallon Jug Aging

Happy New Year Cider People
I have quite a bit of cider ready to bottle up. Was wondering about aging some of it in gallon jugs rather than bottles. Are there any advantages or disadvantages? I assume it would NOT be okay for carbonated cider or would that glass thick enough? If I do bulk age in gallons, would I use a screw cap or just leave it under airlock or what?
Thanks,
gus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the fermentation is complete, aging in gallon jugs is wonderful, they are easy to store, some juice comes in them, and bulk aging helps consistency from bottle to bottle.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Yes, they'll age great! But, they can't be carbonated as most glass in jugs isn't designed to hold pressure.

The only other thing I can think of that would be an issue is drinking the cider. A gallon is a lot! If you pour out of the jug, then you'll be exposing it to oxygen and it'll have to be drunk relatively quickly. If you age it in the jugs, though, and then bottle by racking it out of the jugs, it'd be fine.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all so much. Would the regular screw cap be okay or does it need a better seal?

thanks again,

gus

Quick Reply