Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Frozen Concentrate question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
315er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Frozen Concentrate question

So... This weekend i racked my 6 gallons of cider to get ride of the dead crap at the bottom. Fermentation had completely stopped, hydro was at or below 1.0. I took 2 liters out and stuck in the fr##$r for another project. To make up the air space i filled the carboy back up with frozen concentrate (3 cans). All juice + ascorbic acid, no preserves.

Now, will 3 cans dissolved into almost 6 gallons start fermenting again? If i bottled it now would it be the same as priming? Should i wait it out an watch for bubbles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Well the sugar in the concentrate is definitely great food for the yeast, and as long as they are not dead or gone, than they will likely start up again and you will have just upped the abv a bit. I don't know the proper amounts of priming with concentrate, so you will have to wait for someone more experienced to tell you if that is too much for priming sugar.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

99% chance it will start fermenting again. If you still have the cans, you should be able to find the number of grams of sugar per serving and the total servings. I have some 12 oz. cans of Treetop: 28 grams of sugar per serving and 6 servings per can. So, one can of that would be about right for priming.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've heard hear a few times "1 can for standard carbonation", and "2 cans for heavy carbonation".

However, with 3 cans, you are risking bottle-bombs.

nick

Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
315er
Recipes 

I have nice collection of champagne bottles, you can't blow them up. I added yeast + sugar to my last batch before bottling. Turbo drunkeness

it's been 24 hours and nothing is happening

also.. i see this happen a lot of here, people throw around quantities lbut never quantify it with carboy size. Like the previous post, is that based on 3.5, 5, or 6 gallons. I have all those size carboys.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Generally, unless someone states a different size, we talk about 5 gallon/23L batches and standard beer bottles.

I'm surprised you aren't seeing any fermentation yet, but since you are using champagne bottles, I'd say bottle away. The only time I've see one of those burst it was being cooled with dry ice.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply