Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fresh pears... freeze or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
spatronis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fresh pears... freeze or not?

I have about 120 lbs of fresh pears picked yesterday (a brute trashcan full). So I decided am going to try my hand at making some perry cider.

I have an electric yard mulcher that is brand new and never been used, to mulch up the pears, and my buddy has a 30 lb ratchet press for grapes that we plan on using to juice the ground up pear.

I have read that people freeze apples to get more juice out of them, I assume this would work well for pears as well. Should I bother freezing them if I am grinding them up and then pressing them?

It seems like the people that freeze their apples end up adding pectin to break down apples before fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yes on freezing, and peptic acid. Freezing builds up ice crystals in the fruit that helps to break up / cut the cell walls. I also understand that it can also break down the cell walls of wild yeast, and reducing the possibility of them messing around.
Pectin will reduce haze, etc..
I would also treat with some campden tablets to help kill the wild yeast.
Not really sure about an "electric yard mulcher", but hey if it's clean and works for you.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
spatronis
Recipes 

The yard mulcher idea i got from online in another forum. The mulcher is brand new and very easy to clean... no oils or grease on any of the contact parts.... i figured i would clean it with soapy water and then spray the crap out of it with starsan.

I assume peptic acid can be had readily at the local home brew store? I will pick some up today.

I am planning on taking some videos/pictures of the mulching in action... lets hope it works. If not, there is not much wasted except for time and energy.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think kahuna meant pectic enzyme, ive never heard of peptic acid, just a heads up before heading to the brew shop

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
spatronis
Recipes 

Just thinking out loud here.... Isn't pectic enzyme used to break down the fruit to get at the juice? If i am freezing, grinding and then pressing do I even need the pectic enzyme?

Quick Reply