Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fresh cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
bestes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fresh cider

I just picked up 6 gallons of fresh cider, UV Pasteurized an that's it. I want to create a semi carbonated, and slightly sweet cider. I don't plan on touching it after racking into the secondary till next summer. I am using safale us 05. Can anyone five advice as to the additives used pre yeastyeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check out emu cider in recipes. I started one and i know it's going to be a good one. I have done about 6 different ciders so I have things to compare it to. Check it out

Wayne

Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
bestes
Recipes 

Thanx, i havnt done one yet with fresh stuff. I made 3 batches of vomit smelling stuff out of store juice. Ill try one of emu's

Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You need to go with orchard cider it's a huge difference.

Wayne

Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
bestes
Recipes 

Yea, thats what i was talking about. I just bought the 6 gallons of fresh orchard cider. Ive heard about campden tablets to kill off the wild yeast, then pectin enzyme to remove haze, and tannin to add bitterness, as well as an acid blend, yeast nutrient. All before even pitching the yeast. This is what i have read so ar. Im just a little diluted with info and don't want to screw up my cider

Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Use some pectic enzyme to reduce haze and use some yeast nutrient with urea- your yeasties need some nitrogen. As for the yeast- US-05 will work fine, but I don't know about bulk storing until next summer. Why? Your cider is only going to be in the 6% abv range, so there's no need and really it'll most likely just spoil by then. Just ferment, rack to secondary if you so desire (or leave it on the yeast in primary for two or three more weeks to clean up), then bottle it. If you only want it lightly carbonated, just use about 3 oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons. Let it sit for a week or two, then throw in the fridge. Done.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Forget the tannin. Acid blend wouldn't hurt, but not really necessary. Definitely use yeast nutrient though.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestes
Yea, thats what i was talking about. I just bought the 6 gallons of fresh orchard cider. Ive heard about campden tablets to kill off the wild yeast, then pectin enzyme to remove haze, and tannin to add bitterness, as well as an acid blend, yeast nutrient. All before even pitching the yeast. This is what i have read so ar. Im just a little diluted with info and don't want to screw up my cider
This recepie is from a good friend of mine, and it's my first recepie of the Cider Season (starting it tonight). Hope it provides some info and inspiration!

Here is the cider recipe for the Cinnamon flavoured Club brew:

Had it on the FOCCT.com website under recipes.

OG: 1.060

FG: 1.000

ABV: 8%

Cider: Fresh Apple Cider

Additions: Brown Sugar Syrup, Maple Syrup, Toasted Oak, Cinnamon Extract, Gypsum

Yeast: Fermentis Saflager S-23

Amount Ingredient When

6 gal Fresh Apple Cider Brewday

4.0 pH Gypsum

4 cups Brown Sugar Syrup

1 cup Maple Syrup

2 packs Saflager S-23 Ale Yeast

To taste Toasted Hungarian Oak 1/2oz 2 Weeks (post fermentation)

4 oz Cinnamon Extract 5 Weeks

Process:

Starting with 6 gallons of cider, adjust the pH to 4.0 using gypsum. Heated 2 lbs of dark brown sugar and 1 qt of water to make a brown sugar syrup, and added 4 cups of that to the cider. Added 1 cup of fresh maple syrup. Pitched two Saflager S-23 packages of yeast and fermented at 55F.

Racked into a carboy after two weeks of primary fermentation. Added 1/2 oz. of medium toasted hungarian oak chips. Conditioned at 50F.

The cinnamon extract can be prepared ahead of time and can sit depending on how strong you want the flavor to be. The extract was made by soaking 6 cinnamon stick in 2 cups of vodka for 4 weeks. This step would be a good time to make it.

After a week of secondary rack the cider into a clean carboy for clarification. You can choose to transfer the oak chips or leave them behind but we chose to transfer them. Add sparkolloid powder for clarification at this step.

After 3 weeks add 4 oz. cinnamon extract while it conditions. It is important to give the cider time with the extract so it can blend in and meld with the other flavors.

Bottled after 6 weeks.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedclev View Post
I don't know about bulk storing until next summer. Why? Your cider is only going to be in the 6% abv range, so there's no need and really it'll most likely just spoil by then.
wtffff???? this is ridiculous! bulk store it, it can only get better. if you treat it well, in other words keep it clean and don't let it contact a lot of oxygen after it is done fermenting, it will Not spoil.

you can add some yeast nutrient, or you can get away without. pectic enzyme, why not, can't hurt, but again you can go without. get your yeast in there and you'll be grand (i am liking s05 more and more lately for cider!). making a decent cider is really not rocket science! the tricky bits are the apple blend, or trying to replicate a blend with acid and tannin, and how you finish the cider, imo. bulk aging is a no brainer if you have the capacity

Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 738 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Here ya go - semi-sweet, carbonated, no additives.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Read a few pages though. Good tips about safety.

Quick Reply