Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > freezing yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
chromedome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default freezing yeast starter?

I have a organic apple peel in a 1/2 gallon jug of juice right now, and plan to add this to 5 gallons of juice once the yeast gets real active. My question is, if this cider turns out good i will want to re use the residual yeast. Do i have to pour fresh juice onto the yeast cake right away, or can i add just a little juice, and then freeze this for a later time? Will freezing kill the yeast or just make it dormant?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My suggestion is to read the thread on washing yeast. It is a sticky in the fermenation and yeast heading. That will give you all the information you need. I have washed many yeasts over the years. They seem to keep for a pretty long time. Freezing them is not a good idea, unless you do it the proper way.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply