Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Freeze Distilling cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Knapptime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Freeze Distilling cider

How would you go about it? Is it legal? What ABV do you think you could get it to?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
smegger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I believe they refer to it as freeze concentration. I don't think it is illegal in most places but it really depends on where you live.
Distillation using a still is illegal in most places but freeze concentration not so much from what I understand.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Some freeze and scoop........they place it in the freezer and scoop off the ice crystals as they form.

This is the results from my effort http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/freeze-concentration-experiment-324124/

I placed a 1/2 gallon plastic apple juice bottle in the freezer, left it for a couple of days. To thaw I simply placed upside down over the quart jar. When it was full I placed over the other jar. It is still aging in the pantry on some oak cubes.

Quick Reply