Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Freesh pressed cider
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Freesh pressed cider

I left 4 gallons out for two days and it looks like they started to ferment. The containers expanded. Should I dump them?

__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,654
Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Default

No, what you've got is wild yeast fermenting the cider. I'd pour them in a fermenter and let them run. Or just put some foil over the openings and then you'll be able to compare the results.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
No, what you've got is wild yeast fermenting the cider. I'd pour them in a fermenter and let them run. Or just put some foil over the openings and then you'll be able to compare the results.
too late for that my wife put them in the fridge out of fear they would explode...I guess I should have mentioned that...sorry
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
xumbi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hooksett, NH
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
too late for that my wife put them in the fridge out of fear they would explode...I guess I should have mentioned that...sorry
There's no reason you can't take them out of the fridge and pour them into a fermenter. The yeast will "wake up" as the temperature rises.
__________________
xumbi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xumbi View Post
There's no reason you can't take them out of the fridge and pour them into a fermenter. The yeast will "wake up" as the temperature rises.
I'll try it...should I take an SG reading? should I add any sugar?
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 1,261
Liked 86 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Put airlocks on them and see how they do. Try to keep them cool - around 60 degrees or lower. Wild yeasts can run away and ferment out all the yeast in no time. They also tend to get bad tasting below 1.020, depending on the mix of wild yeasts present. They will actually be easier to deal with in gallons because wild yeasts can be really tough to crash. Also, wild yeast ferments dont like to be handled much at all, so I would not advise pouring them into a new carboy. Keep them in the original containers and try to keep everything that touches them as sterile as possible

Maybe add sugar to one or two, later in the ferment, but you cant add much because the wild yeasts can only convert so much sugar to alcohol before they start going weird. You're probably going to get more apple taste with no sugar but if you have four gallons it might be worth experimenting

__________________
CvilleKevin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
Put airlocks on them and see how they do. Try to keep them cool - around 60 degrees or lower. Wild yeasts can run away and ferment out all the yeast in no time. They also tend to get bad tasting below 1.020, depending on the mix of wild yeasts present. They will actually be easier to deal with in gallons because wild yeasts can be really tough to crash. Also, wild yeast ferments dont like to be handled much at all, so I would not advise pouring them into a new carboy. Keep them in the original containers and try to keep everything that touches them as sterile as possible

Maybe add sugar to one or two, later in the ferment, but you cant add much because the wild yeasts can only convert so much sugar to alcohol before they start going weird. You're probably going to get more apple taste with no sugar but if you have four gallons it might be worth experimenting
I was going to put them all in one Carboy...I'd have to go out and buy 4 more air locks and I don't see me getting to a LHBS untill this weekend
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 1,261
Liked 86 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'd keep them in the fridge until you can get the airlocks. Wild yeasts dont like being handled and if you put them in a 5 gal carboy there will be 1 gal of air sitting on top of them, which is not ideal given that wild yeast ferments are finicky and contamination prone to start with. Plus it will be harder to crash a carboy and with wild yeast you will almost certainly want to crash it before it ferments out unless you get very very lucky with the yeast that is in your juice.

Also with gallon batches you could crash at different points and try to see how low you can go on the final sg - and if one or two goes too far and craps out, you will still have some good ones.

__________________

CvilleKevin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
s.g. of Fresh Pressed Cider? coldrice Cider Forum 13 11-02-2009 01:21 PM
Dealing with self-pressed cider talenos Cider Forum 5 10-31-2009 09:41 PM
Making cider from fresh pressed juice ?? Buckhuntr Cider Forum 7 08-10-2009 02:54 AM
Pressed Cider Question Macrorie Cider Forum 4 10-10-2008 06:24 PM
Unpasteurized pressed Cider / First Apelwein BeerCanuck Cider Forum 6 10-25-2007 07:32 AM