New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Forgot to take a reading - rough guess at %?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
thrall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 54
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Forgot to take a reading - rough guess at %?

Hey,

I made my latest batch using 2x5l demijohns. In each I used 4.3l of store bought apple juice.

To each of the vessels I added 220g of clover honey and 320g of white sugar. I used some general use high alcohol wine yeast.

I was wanting to get a decent %, maybe 7-8% but I think I may have over done it a little.

Can any more experienced people guess what % I will get?



__________________
thrall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ludlow, Ma
Posts: 607
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrall View Post
Hey,

I made my latest batch using 2x5l demijohns. In each I used 4.3l of store bought apple juice.

To each of the vessels I added 220g of clover honey and 320g of white sugar. I used some general use high alcohol wine yeast.

I was wanting to get a decent %, maybe 7-8% but I think I may have over done it a little.

Can any more experienced people guess what % I will get?
I think there are too many veriables to get an ABV without readings before and after fermentation.


__________________
deepcdan99 is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
GinKings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 589
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Can you get any more of the same apple juice and take a reading? You could also get the amount of sugar from the nutritional label if you still have the container. Either would take most of the guess work out of this.

I'm used to working with pounds and gallons, so I hope I converted correctly. I get an OG around 1.086, which would give you about 12% ABV if it ferments dry.

__________________
GinKings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
thrall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 54
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
Can you get any more of the same apple juice and take a reading? You could also get the amount of sugar from the nutritional label if you still have the container. Either would take most of the guess work out of this.

I'm used to working with pounds and gallons, so I hope I converted correctly. I get an OG around 1.086, which would give you about 12% ABV if it ferments dry.
Each Litre of apple juice had 114g sugar.

So that would equal

490.20g sugar from apple juice
320g of white sugar
220g of clover honey
__________________
thrall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
GinKings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 589
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default

With those numbers, I get 1.083, which puts you around 11.5% ABV if it ferments dry.

__________________
GinKings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
thrall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 54
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
With those numbers, I get 1.083, which puts you around 11.5% ABV if it ferments dry.
Wow ok maybe I went a little over board. I will leave it for a month or so to ferment completely then bottle carb for a few months and see if it turns out like cider or some sort of alternate fuel.

Thanks for the calculation.


__________________
thrall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guess How my Cider will turn out sportscrazed2 Cider Forum 9 10-31-2010 01:17 AM
Guess what? A first time cider post earache Cider Forum 3 10-03-2010 11:17 PM
Well, I Guess Now We're Singing Boys Brewing and Cidery Pappers_ Cider Forum 2 06-08-2010 12:28 AM
Anyone want to guess what this contraption is? CvilleKevin Cider Forum 10 10-11-2009 02:49 AM
Too long in primary I guess Nulty Cider Forum 9 05-12-2009 01:36 AM