Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > ??Floor Corker?? Which one 2 Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
KevinJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ??Floor Corker?? Which one 2 Buy?

??Floor Corker?? Which one 2 Buy?

So it sounds like buying a separate capper/corker is what people recommend. It is not worth buying the Colonna Capper-Corker?

Which corker would you buy Portuguese, Italian, Champagne or Super Zenith Bench Style? Will the Portuguese suffice for your average winemaker? Is it good enough for almost everything or do I need to go the Italian route? I do not see doing any champagne (only sparkling which I can use bottle caps for). I have heard nothing about the Zenith bench model before.

I also need a capper? Which capper would you buy?

I am just getting into the hobby and don't want to spend the world but I do not want to buy cheap stuff that I will just replace soon.

Thanks
Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 972 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 2668

I've got an Italian (Ferrari) floor corker & never had any problems with it at all. Well worth the $ I paid for it. I've heard the Portugese models have had some issues with the plastic iris scoring synthetic corks. The Italian model uses a brass iris & has no problems.

As for cappers, I use a wing capper for bottling 12 oz sample bottles. I decided to upgrade to a bench capper while bottling a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein in 12 oz bottles with a wing capper. I'll likely get the standard middle of the road model when I upgrade.

As for champagne bottling, I recently bottled 2 cases worth; it was pretty easy with the plastic stoppers & a rubber mallet. The wire twisting tool was a cinch to use too. Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply