Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First try at cider Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
STUNTx2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First try at cider Questions

Hello-
I am getting ready to try my first batch of Cider and have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1. If I do a batch smaller than five gallons do I need to use less yeast than what a five gallon recipe calls for?

2. After primary fermantation stops, is the tempurture that the cider conditions at as important? I live in an old house with horable insulation and maintaining consistant tempatures can be a challenge.

3. Do I have to use a secondary?

4. Once the cider is bottled is the tempature its stored at a factor?

5. How long can I wait before bottling with out having to rack it again? I was hoping to wait a few months as a few things I have read say this will only improve my final product.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNTx2
Hello-
I am getting ready to try my first batch of Cider and have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1. If I do a batch smaller than five gallons do I need to use less yeast than what a five gallon recipe calls for?

2. After primary fermantation stops, is the tempurture that the cider conditions at as important? I live in an old house with horable insulation and maintaining consistant tempatures can be a challenge.

3. Do I have to use a secondary?

4. Once the cider is bottled is the tempature its stored at a factor?

5. How long can I wait before bottling with out having to rack it again? I was hoping to wait a few months as a few things I have read say this will only improve my final product.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer.
1) No
2) No not in Secondary
3) Generally yes To get it too clear
4) If you are carbing it you want it at Fermentation temp
5) It will Improve the longer it sits, It is like wine

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

1) You can scale it back, although with how long Cider goes any amount of flavors developed by overpitching yeast will have disappeared. So I say, if you are aquainted with the fermenting process (experienced) then scale back, otherwise pitch the whole thing.

2) In general you want conditioning temps to remain stable. However, work with what you have. As long as you aren't riding up into the 60's, 70's etc then you'll be fine. It can affect long term storage though (although you have to put this into perspective, like are you planning on aging the cider for 5 years? )

3) I don't. I just wait until most of the sediment has dropped out and then bottle. More drops out in bottling but I have never had any issues as a result of this.

4) Yes. Same as #2 really.

5) You can wait several months no problem. Bulk conditioning vs. bottle conditioning are always a debatable topic. I bottle condition most things, except for very high gravity brews.

Welcome to the forums

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4910 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Well, here goes!

1. Use the whole package of yeast for any sized batch up to 6 gallons.

2. Temperature is not really that critical- just wrap it with a blanket or something to insulate it to protect it from big temperature swings. Gradual changes dont hurt, but might keep it from clearing as well.

3. Absolutely. You have to rack it to get it off the yeast/dead stuff (the "lees") after fermentation, and rack anytime you have lees 1/4 inch thick or so.

4. Not really- too hot is not good, but it can be stored at room temperature, or in the cellar. Again, it's big swings that you want to watch out for.

5. Bottle whenever you want. You can either bulk age it in the carboy, or age it in the bottle. I like to wait at least 6-8 months so that it's clear and not dropping any more sediment.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply