Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First time fermenting any bev period, Am I on the right track?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
TVarmy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default First time fermenting any bev period, Am I on the right track?

Hi, I found this recipe on Lifehacker a while back and I'm going to give it a try with some supplies I bought from the homebrew store this past week.

I have champagne yeast, and I'm planning on getting some unpasteurized cider from the next pressing at a local orchard. I'll use campford tablets to ready it for fermentation. I'll try to get roughly two gallons worth, and ferment it in a 6 gallon carboy that I'll probably use for beer in the future. At the end of fermentation, I might try bottling it with some extra sugar in either beer bottles or PET bottles for carbonation. If I find out that it's too hard to pull that off without creating explosions, I'll just stop the fermentation. I'm told that I should expect a dry, crisp apfelwein with this yeast and method.

As I'm completely new to brewing, I'm open to any tips. I know to use the air lock and sanitize everything, but otherwise feel free to say it. I probably don't know it yet.

Last edited by TVarmy; 02-23-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
skyzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like your on the right track. I've never used fresh apple juice from an orchard, and I'd imagine its much better than the store bought stuff.
One note though, make sure that you scale down the sugar you use for bottling. Most places will tell you around 3/4 cup of dextrose, but cane sugar is a little different, I dont know what to scale it to off the top of my head, but its real close anyways. When I bottled my 2.5 gallon batch awhile back, I just used a 1/3 of a cup, and it carbed up nicley.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
toman8r
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd suggest making 5 gallons if you can afford it. After you drink the last bottle you are going to wish you had over twice as many! I made Edwort's apfelwein 1.5 years ago and it is really awesome now, I'm really glad I saved a few bottles.

I just made two ciders with a buddy of mine. We did about 2.7 gallons with some tasty store bought juice from Mother's Market and 1.5 gallons with juice from apples my friend pressed. With these we adjusted the pH with malic acid to get them to 3.4 or so, something I didn't do with my apfelwein (no idea what the pH was for that). This site has some good info on how to adjust your pH and how many Campden tablets to use depending on the pH, as well as loads of other good information. I just used pH strips to measure the pH.

I prefer it carbonated - just add sugar right before bottling. I'd suggest using a bottling bucket, they really make bottling a lot easier. And just add all the sugar at once to the bottling bucket, as adding sugar to each individual bottle will likely result in uneven carbonation. Or add some carbonation tablets to each bottle - those are a lot more precise that measuring small amounts of sugar. Just use one of the many carbonation calculators you can find online to determine how much priming sugar to add.

So it sounds like you are on the right track. You will end up with a dry, crisp hard cider using these methods and yeast.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can't just stop fermenting to avoid explosions. To stop fermenting (which can be tricky) means that you leave sugar behind, and too much sugar is what causes the explosions. If you let it go dry, then follow the advice of skyzo and toman8r, you should not be having problems with explosions.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

GET A HYDROMETER. Otherwise you dont know where it is at in the fermentation. Just because the airlock has stopped bubbling doesnt mean it is done. This is the number one way to prevent bombs.

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
TVarmy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll try EdWort's recipe instead, since I'm probably just going to get two gallons or so of cider from the local orchard. If I don't get the call from them soon, I might just use 100% store bought and freeze the raw cider for later. Will it be an issue that I'm using champagne yeast instead of wine yeast?

Last edited by TVarmy; 02-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
toman8r
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Champagne yeast is fine.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Don't cook it like that recipe link in your Original Post says. Use the Campden tabs in lieu of cooking it, the apple juice will retain so much more flavor. Better yet, don't even use the campden unless they sent you out the door with cider stored in sheep stomachs.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yall are about to press apples in New Jersey? We don't even have blossoms yet down 'her' ??

Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
TVarmy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Fletch, I'm not sure if they get their apples locally or not this time of year. They do operate their own press, though.

Tags
champagne yeast, cider

Quick Reply