Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First time cider, wrote to local orchard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Ryan_PA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First time cider, wrote to local orchard

I was looking to use real, fresh, local cider for my first hard cider attempt. I wrote to the orchard up the street from me and asked if thier cider is pasteurized and if it has sorbate added since I have read these are both things to avoid. I quickly go the following reply:

"Our cider is flash pasteurized and contains nothing but fresh pressed apples. No additives or preservatives."

I am assuming this means it is ideal for hard cider making, no?

Also, on the suggestion of the LHBS guy I like, I am using a champagne yeast. Any reason not to?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
prey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The juice should be fine to use. If you want your cider to have a dry finish, I would go ahead and use the champagne yeast. If you want it a bit sweeter, go for an ale yeast like nottingham. HTH

Primary #1: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #2: APA
Primary #3: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary #4:
Primary #5:
Secondary #1: empty
Secondary #2: empty
Bottled: Amber Ale, Hefeweizen, Apfelwein
Drinking: hard cider

Old 10-10-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
psi3000
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is what the orchard that I got my cider from said, that it was flash pasteurized. So I got two gals of apple, and 2 half gals of peach and red raspberry cider. Watch out though!! I found that after putting in a half lbs of corn sugar into the half gals that the SG read 84-90 thats 11-13% ABV. I am going to use the nottingham yeast on everything. I hope this is ok. I think Ill go get two more and of the peach and raspberry and just add yeast to it. I think I will make this a recipe topic.

Quick Reply