First time for cider so need a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrtickel

Reaction score
Hi lads and lassies
This is my first time brewing cider so bear with me. im trying for a taste something like bulmers or strongbow.
Im going to use 4L of apple juice for tesco (from non concentrated) €1.34 its a cloudy apple juice its the only 1 i can get.
Im going to buying 1 or 2 5L demi john from my brew store today €7.60 each cheap enough i think and some yeast, i have some brewing sugar left from doing my beer or would honey be better to use, if so how much honey would i need for the 4L batch and im looking to get maybe 7% ta 8% ABV.
Also would i need to use some neutreant and how much for this and what would be a good yeast to use to try and get the taste im looking for as mentioned above.
As i said im a pure newbie to brewing cider :)

Thanks

Ps. this might be a silly question will the cider be cloudy or will the juice clear.:eek:

You probably wouldn't need to add sugar/honey to the juice to get it to 7%. You'd be shooting for an OG of around 1.055, so save yourself some trouble and buy a hydrometer with everything else and you'll get it spot on. Just measure the juice before any addition and if it's lower than 1.055, add small amounts of sugar until you get it right :)

Also, the cider will be cloudy after fermentation, but will most likely clear after a few weeks/months depending on how it is stored/aged. Might I suggest also purchasing some pectinase (pectic enzyme) to add prior to fermentation? It'll clear it right up.

Thanks oldmate for the help
As for the pectinase is pectolase the same thing if it is i can buy it in my home brew store how much would i need to use of this stuff and would i add this before i add the sugar or do i put it into the demi john before i even put in the juice, also would i take long to clear when using the (pectic enzyme).
I have a hydrometer i use for when brewing my lager so i can use it for taking readings.

Yep, pectolase is exactly the same thing. I would suggest buying a bulk packet and storing in the fridge if you're planning on brewing some more ciders after this (I do this for both my yeasts and enzyme, it gets your money's worth!). It makes no difference if you add it before or after you add the sugar. I would recommend adding your juice (then take a reading) then add any sugars/honey you want (then take another reading) and then add in your pectic enzyme and yeast simultaneously, and bang on an airlock.

Basically what the pectinase (or pectolase, or even pectozyme) does is chew up all the bits of apple proteins floating around, making it clearer (and releasing some sugars as well!). I've never used cloudy cider for my ciders but I would imagine it would take a while to clear after fermentation, unless you cold crash it as well (basically cooling it down in the fridge to drop all sediment/yeast out of solution). I don't think you'd be looking at anything less than 2 weeks in the bottle/secondary. Not completely sure, so maybe someone else can chime in on that one! Hope that helps!

Alright folks started the cider last night and the cloud apple juice i got from (tesco supermarket) and onits own with nothing added was 1048 added some priming sugar and it brought it up to 1058 and used notthingham yeast.I was thinking of racking this at 1008/1010 would this give me a sweet cider and a bit dry of a taste and 6 ta 6.5% alc.
How long would i leave in the secondary formentor for or would i be better off bottling it and carbonating it with the carb. drops 600ml bottles x2 drops each.
Would i have to cold crash this after about a week or 2 so i get no bottle bombs?

If you want a sweet cider then you'll have to bottle it at that FG. I'd suggest reading up on Pappers' stickied thread on bottle pasteurising, it's dead easy and you'll never get a bottle bomb (well, I haven't!). I also wouldn't worry about adding any carb drops because it'll have plenty of sugars still in solution to ferment out without being too detrimental to the sweetness of the cider.

Cheers oldmate the only thing i didnt use was the pectolase i forgot it can i add it to the secondary fermentoror is it to late??

can you tell me how much table sugar i need to prime 1 gallon of cider and its cloudy cider i stopped it at 1010 from 1058 and racked it in to a secondery fermentor, next to bottle it but need to no how much sugar to bulk prime it. then stove pasturize after a week or so.

Hi

Id just taught id let you no how my cider is getting on, its 5 months in the bottle and i crack 1 open last nit just to see how it was going and to my surprise its not coming on to bad it has cleared a bit you can see through the cider when poured still a bit cloudy though (at the start you could'nt see through), but it still tastes a bit sour rather than sweet so im hopin another few months will do it justice.
This was only a trial to see if i could make it and if it would taste good before id go making a big match and probably spend money that would be wasted.

Latest posts

Back