Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Time Brewing Cider...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
mgayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
Thanks for the reply! I took the specific gravity today and it fell from 1.075 to 1.045 in around a day or so... It started giving off a lot of Co2 after maybe 8hrs in the carboy.

I noticed you talked about having clear or light colored hard cider. Is it okay to have it a bit murky like beer if it has alcohol in it? I was thinking about bottling this batch in a month or so and hoping it would carbonate/age in the bottle?

Does a fall of 1.75 to 1.45 in SG mean it has around 4.1% alcohol right now?

I'm not trying to rush this too much, but would like to use it as a "look what I can do" example. That way I can get a ton of apples, and maybe grapes from my girlfriends parents who have an orchard. Her dad hasn't had a lot of luck with some of his wines. I'm sure if he tasted what this cider is like right now he would be impressed.

With your gravities it should be at 4% ABV. Be careful on how quick you are bottling this. Bottle bombs are very dangerous. If your fermentation is not done you cannot control the carb you want! Just imagine picking up a bottle and as you start top pop the top the glass explodes sending shards flying in all directions! I know that sounded bad but it can happen if you don't insure things have finished.

I have had cider that was not clear, just a hazy look. If you just want to give some samples then pull off that batch and sorbate and campden it, wait a day then bottle it. I do the samples with my wife and some friends and they get that jones for what it will be like when finished. I would just take a sample over and let him try about 6 oz. Remember most people are impressed by their first view. Cloudy and hazy will give that impression. A cool bottle and a nice label start an impression of quality. Seeing and smelling are next and taste is last.

Just my 2 cents of what I look for. Hope you get the apples and grapes.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply