Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First time Apple Cider------ 9.825 ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkdud76
So where did I go wrong in making this batch? Did I use to much apple juice concentrate, the brown sugar?
You're recipe is actually a apple wine recipe. The brown sugar and apple juice concentrate are there to raise the ABV to about 10% as per design. So you didn't go wrong. If you want a lower ABV, then try using just apple juice with no sugar or juice concentrate.

If you want it sweet, stabilize it and then as the sugar or juice concentrate.

If you want it carbonated and sweet, then read Papper's sticky on stove top pasteurizing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Temp81
Recipes 

I guess I should have posted my recipe. I didn't use wine yeast for mine, I used California Ale yeast. I know, its not really normal to do that with cider, but I did it because of the way I made this. Like I said before, I do not care for really dry ciders, and I have never been good at the back sweetening thing. I always do too much or not enough. So basically I got to reading some of these posts about "Graff" or malted cider and got curious. So I took an idea from a couple different recipes and did some modification. The reasons I chose the California Ale yeast were because a) i had plenty around from harvesting and washing and b) because I figured it would not ferment down too low in gravity making things on the dry side. So back to the point about the campdem tablets. I do agree, they don't really kill the yeast, although it did appear to stop the fermentation. It didn't take much to start it again though. When I moved the secondary to rack to the keg I ended up shaking up some yeast off of the bottom. I then noticed some airlock activity again as I let it settle. So I cold crashed it for 24 hrs to settle everything again. But anyway, it is what it is, I have tried a couple of samples from the keg and it came out pretty good. So regardless how I got there I am happy with it, and will make it again. Yooper, thanks for the knowledge, I really am still a noob, but learning more with every batch I make.

Milkdud, I honestly don't think you have screwed anything up. You are probably a lot like many others here including myself, impatient and praying that the product you put so much time into comes out as desired.

So now my recipe if anyone cares to try or critique:

3lbs 2 Row Malt
1lb American Crystal 60
1lb Honey Malt
8 oz American Crystal 120
.5 oz Cascade Hops 60 min boil

Mash the grains using enough water to get you 3.5-4.0 gallons of wort after single batch sparge. Then boil down to 2.5 gallons. Basically making a half batch of beer. Cool, then rack to primary. Top up primary with about 3.5 gallons of apple cider (not juice, cider). then pitch yeast.

I didn't get overly scientific with this one as I didn't know how it would come out, and it was kind of an experiment. I think its a pretty good first try, I may change up the amount of Honey Malt, and Crystal 60. Less Honey Malt, more 60.

Primary: Helles Munich Lager, Primary: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale x2
Secondary: My House Beer
Secondary: M/T
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout
Keg: My version of Graff (Malted Cider)
Keg: Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Milkdud76
Recipes 

Very impatient!!!! It's like I need to have 5 different batches going to keep me on my toes.

Primary- Hard Apple Cider

Primary-Bavarian Wheat

Bottled- Honey Pilsner

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just my 2 cents worth. I use UV treated pressed cider from a local mill in Maine that uses a specific mix of apples. I also use ale yeast which I prefer. Adding cane, dex and or brown sugar is common depending on desired results. I don't believe honey is a good additive in this application, the expense and end result just don't coincide for cider, wine or even jack. Tomorrow I'll bottle up my forth batch for the season. It will go into plastic 16's and glass 22's. I won't test the gravity even though I can. 45 years says just go ahead and do it. I expect it to be spectacular come planting season.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
macmaniac72
Recipes 

Ok, not to jack threads, but I saw the mention of the concoction turning to vinegar. Last year, this was me on a one gal batch made from apple juice and wine yeast. Was undrinkable. Fast forward this year and I really want some applewine to turn out good for me. So 5.5 gal Costco apple juice, wine yeast, and 20 oz of unsulfered molasses. Its been 3 weeks in primary, almost to final gravity. Last week tasting was pleasant, but smells vinegary... Too early to worry?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaniac72 View Post
Ok, not to jack threads, but I saw the mention of the concoction turning to vinegar. Last year, this was me on a one gal batch made from apple juice and wine yeast. Was undrinkable. Fast forward this year and I really want some applewine to turn out good for me. So 5.5 gal Costco apple juice, wine yeast, and 20 oz of unsulfered molasses. Its been 3 weeks in primary, almost to final gravity. Last week tasting was pleasant, but smells vinegary... Too early to worry?
Fermented molasses is nasty, nasty stuff. It could be from that, if your sanitation was up to par.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kind of sounds like some wild yeast got in there doesn't it? That is what puts the sour in sourdough. Great in bread, not so much in cider.

Quick Reply