Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Hard Cider Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
TrendyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Hard Cider Attempt

I just drank my first bottle of Hard Cider and I have to say it has upset me. It doesn't taste anything like I was expecting. At first taste myself and girlfriend thought it had a strong vinegar taste but after a little more drinking we thought it tastes a lot like a white wine with a slight vinegar to it. The more we drink the one bottle the more it tastes like white wine to us. So I am wondering what I did wrong to it? Here is my recipe:

4 Gallons of Apple Juice (I made sure it was all natural juice with nothing added)
1/2 lb of brown sugar
1 packet of COTE DES BLANC (EPERNAY 2)

I put the apple juice in a carboy mixed with the brown sugar. I then pitched the yeast into the carboy. After 24 hours it had started to bubble a little. After 2 days it was bubbling like crazy. I let it sit till there was no more bubbling which was about 3 weeks. At that point I siphoned it into a bottling bucket with 48oz of apple juice to mix it up. I then bottled it and let it sit for another two weeks. And that is where I am now.

Can anyone let me know what I did wrong or maybe this is the way it is supposed to taste. If so what can I do to the recipe to make it not quite taste so much like white wine and more of a refreshing apple drink? Any comments would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It is hard to tell without some gravity readings... but I bet the yeast dried it out more than your taste prefers!

Some people say time is the key... that apple taste will come back after 10 months or so.

I prefer to ferment my cider on beer yeast... Nottingham to be specific. I love the flavor. It does not ferment out too much.

Others are adding some steeped grain (crystal xxL) to the recipe for more sweetness and mouthfeel. perhaps something in that direction will satisfy your taste. Mix this batch with some sprite.... you might like it!

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
TrendyGuy
Recipes 

my OG was 1.050 and my FG was 0.99

We just finished the first bottle and it definitely tastes like white wine. I even had some cider vinegar sitting around so I tried and it tastes completely different. hehe

When you say you let it sit for around 10 months. Do you think it would taste better if I let it sit in the bottles for a little longer? I am looking for a quick cider I can do within 2 months time. From all the reviews of this recipe I thought it would be it.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You have to decide for yourself when its ready to drink, which involves the task of frequent sampling. If your sampling is too frequent you will finish it before you decide.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you really take 3 week old cider and mix it with 48 ounces of apple juice and bottle? I ask because that seems like a heck of a lot of sugar to use to carbonate very young cider.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
TrendyGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Did you really take 3 week old cider and mix it with 48 ounces of apple juice and bottle? I ask because that seems like a heck of a lot of sugar to use to carbonate very young cider.
Yeah, I got the recipe from here Savvy Housekeeping » How To Make Apple Cider but I also found the same recipe from a few other places.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Hopefully they are right about the amount of sugar in the juice. It sounded like so much. I'm not a big fan of fast ciders because I think ciders are so much better when aged for a few months or a year.

Another thing I discovered about myself is I don't care for ciders with extra sugar added. I've done the brown sugar, corn sugar, raw sugar thing and ended up preferring the juice and yeast only cider the best.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
TrendyGuy
Recipes 

If I let this batch sit in the bottles for another month or more will it age and taste better? or does that need to be done in the carboy?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Bottle aging a perfectly acceptable. Not only does the cider mellow as it ages but some of the nice apple flavor comes back.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
TrendyGuy
Recipes 

I plan on starting another batch while this one is aging. Can you give any yeast or easy recipe recommendations?

Quick Reply