Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First foray into cider!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have started making a good bit of cider myself, talk about being a whole lot easier than beer! Fun times, you will enjoy, keep updated.

Though, when I make hard cider, I try to get about a 1.058 OG to put me in the 6-7% range of alcohol. Then I add some mother and shake it for about 3 months to get nice aged ACV. Not as intoxicating, but good stuff, and incredibly healthy!

Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
joelb922
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What would you recommend for quick and easy with a little strength to it? I made it with the basic cider, yeast, and brown sugar, it tasted good, but it was pretty weak tasting

Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
dbhokie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Weak as in Alcohol weak?

You just need to adjust your starting gravity. If you are using juice it has a lot to do with the types of apples used. I get unfiltered juice from a local orchard, but only the juice they press from the fall apples is really sweet enough.

So take your Apple Juice, measure the OG of it.

Now If you want it to be stronger, add some more sugar to it, you can use brown sugar, or honey, or molasses, or maple syrup, or what have you.

These things will change the taste, for instance honey, cane sugar and brown sugar are monosacharrides, they will "dry out" your cider a bit. Molasses and Maple Syrup will actually add a bit of body, due to some non-fermentable sugars and other carbohydrates.

You can also just like beer, change the yeast that you use. A higher attenuation yeast will be dryer, and more effective at converting the sugars to alcohol

Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
joelb922
Recipes 

Ok got ya, yeah it tasted weak alcohol wise, it was really good, but it needed more of a spike to it, I just googles how to do it, I'm not sure if I did everything correct though

Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Still lightly fizzing away in the carboy. Lotsa sugar to ferment. Go, yeasties, go!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #16
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, just over 4 months since assembly... debating whether or not to bottle this puppy now, or wait longer. I know it can get better with age, but I wanna taste it!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #17
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Use a wine thief or sterilized turkey baster to take a sample. It will still have a good deal of yeast in suspension, so it will probably be a bit thick and yeasty. It should give you an idea what the sweetness and alcohol is doing though. If you stick your sample in the fridge overnight it should settle a bit and give you a better idea where things are.

Really, you shouldn't touch it unless you really can't help yourself. The more times you mess with it, the higher the probability of getting an infection in the batch. To be honest, after 4 months it would be killing me to try some though.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpiffy View Post
Well, just over 4 months since assembly... debating whether or not to bottle this puppy now, or wait longer. I know it can get better with age, but I wanna taste it!
Four months is plenty of time to ferment, go ahead and bottle to free up that carboy for something else. It will continue to age in the bottle if more time is needed.

Quick Reply