Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First ever cider batch..will the sweet version ever carb?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
ChrisE248
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11
Default First ever cider batch..will the sweet version ever carb?

So after five successful batches of beer as by request of the Mrs. and some of her friends I tried to make a batch of cider. Kept it simple..

2.5 gall fresh cider
1 champagne yeast

After 3 wks. FG = 0.998 racked waited 4 wks later bottled approx 1gall to be
Dry carbed cider. Racked the remaining twice much more since I noticed there was a lot of sediment in the dry version bottles and when opened it was not compacted and mixed into cider. After racking a total of 3 times the remaining two gallons was Backsweetened with frozen concentrate old orchard apple juice to 1.020---it has been 11 days and still no carbonation to speak of. I have been checking every other day when opened it makes a sound but no bubbles in the cider. Did I over rack ? Or just need to wait longer?

I have been storing the bottles in a cooler in my basement -- nervous about bottle bombs.

Btw the dry version is very well carbed but tasted very blah not like apple at all.

__________________
ChrisE248 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,384
Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE248 View Post
So after five successful batches of beer as by request of the Mrs. and some of her friends I tried to make a batch of cider. Kept it simple..

2.5 gall fresh cider
1 champagne yeast

After 3 wks. FG = 0.998 racked waited 4 wks later bottled approx 1gall to be
Dry carbed cider. Racked the remaining twice much more since I noticed there was a lot of sediment in the dry version bottles and when opened it was not compacted and mixed into cider. After racking a total of 3 times the remaining two gallons was Backsweetened with frozen concentrate old orchard apple juice to 1.020---it has been 11 days and still no carbonation to speak of. I have been checking every other day when opened it makes a sound but no bubbles in the cider. Did I over rack ? Or just need to wait longer?

I have been storing the bottles in a cooler in my basement -- nervous about bottle bombs.

Btw the dry version is very well carbed but tasted very blah not like apple at all.
Did you add anything to the backsweetened version to keep it from fermenting?
1.020 IS bottle bomb territory, so I assume you're planning on pasteurizing when the cider gets carbed up?
With champagne yeast, a cider will finish at .990.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
ChrisE248
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Did you add anything to the backsweetened version to keep it from fermenting?
1.020 IS bottle bomb territory, so I assume you're planning on pasteurizing when the cider gets carbed up?
With champagne yeast, a cider will finish at .990.
No-- not extra additives. Been reading a lot of great info on this forum for pasteurizing.

Also did not use the plastic test bottle like mentioned in numerous threads. I have been checking for carb every other day will pasteurize and store in garage-- it is already winter like conditions here in SW Ohio, so pasteurize plus 'cold crash'.

I have been recapping the tested bottles but opening a new one each time I check for carb.
__________________
ChrisE248 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Lgaddy44
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lgaddy44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frederick, MD, MD
Posts: 267
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

When you backsweeten with the concentrate, it sounds like you're bottling afterwards. Is this correct, or are you kegging? I plan on starting a batch (Ed Worts Apfelwine), and hoped to backsweeten it with a can of AJ concentrate. My idea is to keg the cider with 1 can of concentrate and throw it in the kegerator. I know it'll take a day or two to chill properly, but I'm thinking it should be safe as the yeast wouldnt have time to chew up too much sugar before going dormant. I've never tried any backwsweetening, so I was hoping for some input (or reassurance) on the concept. Any thoughts?

__________________
GO BLUE!!

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing
Lgaddy44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
ChrisE248
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgaddy44
When you backsweeten with the concentrate, it sounds like you're bottling afterwards. Is this correct, or are you kegging? I plan on starting a batch (Ed Worts Apfelwine), and hoped to backsweeten it with a can of AJ concentrate. My idea is to keg the cider with 1 can of concentrate and throw it in the kegerator. I know it'll take a day or two to chill properly, but I'm thinking it should be safe as the yeast wouldnt have time to chew up too much sugar before going dormant. I've never tried any backwsweetening, so I was hoping for some input (or reassurance) on the concept. Any thoughts?
Yes--bottling, not currently able to keg. I felt like I had to use AJ concentrate to sweeten it up--I bottled up 8 prior to adding the AJ concentrate while they are well carbed they have little or no apple taste so I wanted to bring back in some flavor when I sweetened it up.


When I bottled the remaining 2 gall which I added 2 cans of frozen AJ I also added 1/2 c. brown sugar as priming sugar. At time of bottling the gravity was at 1.020 and the last two days--day 11 and 12 the gravity on a sample from a test bottle was at 1.016 both days...I will check again tonight. The test jar has fine bubbling on the inside but not roaring to the surface just clinging to the tube.

Thinking the yeast chewed up the brown sugar but I need to triple check the AJ I used. It was Old Orchard brand frozen--I thought it only had malic acid and absorbic acid.

This was my very first batch of cider so the verdict is still out on the finish product.
__________________
ChrisE248 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
ChrisE248
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11
Default

Well--went ahead and pasteurized today. The sample from had a nice light carb to it and will a gravity reading of 1.012. Total of 14 days.

I used the method found on this forum. Took water to 190F removed from heat, placed 5 bottles in pot, covered with a lid for 10 mins, remove, allow to cool on countertop and repeat with remaining bottles.

I tasted the sample-- definitely apple flavor there but needs some age--a little funk present--"green".


Hoping it will be ready for the upcoming Christmas celebrations.

__________________
ChrisE248 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cider newbie - process questions for kegged sweet hard force carbed cider jfdimarco Cider Forum 3 02-23-2013 10:53 AM
DIPA Help, No carb still, too sweet. ChadChaney Fermentation & Yeast 8 09-05-2012 04:25 PM
How long to bottle carb sweet cider before pasteurizing? ilikethetrees Cider Forum 6 10-23-2011 11:50 AM
Help me with 2.5 gallon version of Graham's English Cider maltoftheearth Cider Forum 3 04-18-2011 12:30 PM
Sweet Stout Won't carb caneman Bottling/Kegging 8 03-23-2009 03:35 PM