The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Cider - Smells Like rotten Eggs!!! HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Skrimpy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok. So I didn't know this was the case. I made 5 gallons of cider and it smells exactly as you guys describe it. Exactly what I imagine a rhino fart would smell like. Fermentation stopped. I racked it to a corny about 1/2 an hour ago. It's been fermenting close to three, maybe four weeks. Bubbling stopped yesterday. The valve on the corny is closed...should I open it? It still smelled like sulfur and didn't taste all that great to me. Anyone got any suggestions? Let it sit? Dump it? Treat it with something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Nerdrock7
Recipes 

Keep in mind there are many of other microbes in the world besides yeast. MostSalmonella species and Clostridium dificile , to name a few, also produce hydrogen sulfide. Remember that unlike when you are brewing beer you do need to worry about pathogenic bacteria in ciders or wine.

Last edited by Nerdrock7; 10-12-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdrock7
Keep in mind there are many of other microbes in the world besides yeast. MostSalmonella species and Clostridium dificile , to name a few, also produce hydrogen sulfide. Remember that unlike when you are brewing beer you do need to worry about pathogenic bacteria in ciders or wine.
Really? I was under the impression that in cider and wine the alcohol content got so high that the bugs that could make you really sick couldn't survive. Besides, my laziness has made my cider pretty damn good. I went to go keg a beer and needed a clean keg. When I opened the corny I was surprised to not smell Rhino Farts that I decided to taste it. It was fantastic! I primed it and am waiting for the bubbly now....its only been a year but I did go to the orchard last week and got another five gallons and have fifteen gallons of Concord wine fermenting in the garage!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
WortDog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So....I just brewed my first Ed Wort cider batch and guess what? I have the dreaded Rhino Farts smell. Now, I can totally deal with it but I have to live with 3 females (1 wife, 2 daughters) and they aren't as amenable to the smell. I have read every thread on this and I know it will go away but damn, can't the girls throw us an occasional sulfur bone?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just let it set a few months. It will be fantastic.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
ValhalllaRising
Recipes 

We're making our first batch of hard cider. I'm glad I came to this forum... I came home and 'BOOM', who's been farting here all day, I took out the trash scrubbed the floors and cleaned the garbage disposal when I tracked it to our the fermentor. We have the 'Rhino Farts'. I figured it was part of the process, but the girl had her concerns. It's been in for a week and it's still bubblin' and fermenting and the smell is dying down.

We bought 5 gal. of unpasteurized cider with no preservatives in the Apple Hill area of California, then added 4 sulfite tablets, pitched a Cali Pale Ale yeast, then added 2 lbs. of organic cane sugar.

Since this is our first hard cider, I have a couple of questions:

Do you prime it and bottle it like regular beer with priming sugar?
How long should it sit in 2nd ferment?
How long should it sit in the bottle?
Will the yellowish-brownish hue clarify after 2nd ferment?

Thank you-all good posts here!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #17
tristan1220
Recipes 

The yellowish will clear in a couple weeks. You can leave your cider in the first fermenter until clear. The put in the 2nd fermenter. Before bottling I'd flavor it. I've never bottled beer before, but I bottled my cider, I took it from my secondary and into the bottles, added a little less than a teaspoon of corn sugar, pasteurized them, then capped them and let them sit for a week.

Quick Reply