Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Cider from Scratch.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
d0nni
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First Cider from Scratch.

Hello everyone!

I've been browsing through this forum for the last week or so and I have just decided to actually join and hope to get some information first hand and post a few pics of my results etc for the sheer banter

I'm in the process of making a Cider!

I've pressed the apples myself as I have my own we small orchard of perhaps 12 trees.

I've decided to call it quits at 9 gallons lol.

one of these gallons is in a demijohn with nothing added to it whats-so-ever just straight from the press and into it, air locked and put away.

The other 8 gallons are in fermentation bins (5 gallons in 1, 3 gallons in the other)

For the 5 gallon bin i decided to use 4 gallons of red eating apples (very sweet) with 1 gallon of green apples (quite bitter)

for the 3 gallon one i have used roughly 2 gallons bitter, with 1 gallon sweet.

i have added 5 campden tablets to the 5 gallon drum, and 3 campden to the 3 gallon drum.

i have waited the 24hours (roughly 28/9 now) and im ready to add the yeast. The yeast im using is youngs super wine yeast compound. 60g's in total (not sure to use it all or not yet?)

The questions i would like to ask at the moment are...

How much yeast should i add to each drum?

and

Should i add sugar to these or not? and if so, how much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
kukubau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeast Calculator - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

About the sugar addition, it's wise to have the starting sugar gravity (you'll need a hydrometer/saccharometer) somewhere around 1055-1060. So add sugar in small amounts and do consequent several readings until you're there.

You can check the potential ABV % (alcohol by volume) with this http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php and this http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/, so you can have an idea on how much sugar to add, depending on your preference.

I hope this helps.

Good luck !

Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
d0nni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thing is i dont have a hydrometer... well i did for like a day and i was a careless plank and smashed it within 2 seconds of laying my hands on it. dont suppose there is an 'old school' method for testing this?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
kukubau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

None that I know of. You can buy them online, some cheap, depends where you do your shopping. Search ebay and homebrewing shops.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
d0nni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

could i just take a chance and activate the yeast and throw it in with a bit of sugar and just keep an eye on it?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
brianwadley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yep, you just won't have a guage to know your final ABV. You really want an ABV of 5% or higher to keep from spoilage as it ages. I've found that most of my ciders from pressed dessert and cooking apples tend to have an SG around 1.045 +/-0.005. If you assumed a low end of 1.040, you could use that to guide the amount of fermentable sugar you want to add to get yourself to 1.055...however, it won't be exact AND you won't be able to tell what your final gravity is when you are done to ensure that you have fermented completely.

So...here is my suggestion (barring you actually getting another hydrometer), don't move your cider into secondary. That way you always have that CO2 layer protecting it before you bottle. Then, after you have bottled or during bottling, pasteurize, refrigerate and don't let it age more than a couple months. Also, always check for any funk in the bottles before pouring and drinking...it really is a safety hazard with cider to keep it more than a few weeks with a low ABV.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
d0nni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what if i was aiming for a fairly high ABV? say... 8-10%?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Mope
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The wine yeast should be good up to 16, maybe even 18% ABV. You'll want to check the website to see what it's tolerance is.

I have been using Lalvin EC-1118. I switched off Fleischmann's because I have a real nice brewing shop nearby. I wanted Pasteur Champagne yeast but they were out, but from what people tell me, the Lalvin works great. It's VERY vigorous with yeast nutrient. I'd recommend Brew and Grow if you do not have a shop nearby, they have all the necessities like hydrometers. I think I paid like 5-6$ USD for one. Very handy gadgets.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
d0nni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i must get a new one. hard to believe i was so careless with it. i was just exhuasted from crushing and pressing all the apples i didnt think to take care with it.

well i added the yeast there about 4-8 hours ago... its just started to bubble. i added about say half a pound of sugar to the demijohn... would that be about right? im kinda tryin to see what its like with less added sugar and more natural sugars? (wish had the hydrometer!)

Old 09-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Mope
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

d0nni,

The nice thing about cider is that it takes such a short time to make. If you make a bad batch it isn't like you were spending months and months and lost of money. A half pound into a demijohn will keep the yeast going fine. I'd recommend a nutrient to keep it going longer, organic natural raisins work well. Mash them into a sludge water and pour some into your juice before you cap it and airlock it. If you put get a few raisins in it doesnt matter, they all come out in the end. If they haven't been mashed to bits, they come out re-hydrated and yeasty!

My ciders are usually 7-10 day affairs. I am going to run 2 weeks with the carboy I have. 4 days later, the airlock is still popping about once every 1.25 seconds.

Quick Reply