Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Cider Question: Batch ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Lamminis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Cider Question: Batch ruined?

I made a 5 gall batch of cider. I bought 5 gallons of a local cider that was pasturized, addes some wyeast sweet mead yeast . OG 1.049 FG was 1.001 bottled it after three days constant gravity readings. Wife was curious about it it has been in the bottles about 3 weeks so I cracked one open and it reeked of sulpher. I know it needs to stay in the bottle another 2 or 3 months but the wife was curious and so was I. Just wondering if the sulpher will condition out with a couple months or is my batch ruined? Thanks for the help ahead of time for my noobness!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Yes, it will. Ciders tend to be at their best after 6-8 months. I leave them in the fermenter for a month or more before kegging. If you are going to buy a liquid yeast, WLP775 English Cider Yeast is a better choice. Cider yeasts will retain more apple flavor than a mead yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 07-21-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply