The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First cider, Fermentation stopped

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
sanity1676
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default First cider, Fermentation stopped

About three days ago i began a fermentation in a clean mason jar with, a cup of sugar, a quart of water, and some cider spices,I dissolved the sugar completely, added spices, i added two packs of some past date bread yeast, then I shook it up and in fifteen minutes i got some pretty decent foam forming in my mason jar. I loosened the lid to let C02 out, and the foam kept up until the next morning. The next morning was moderately cold around 40F and i wanted to see if it was still producing foam or if that was just some floating bubbles on top, so i shook it again, and didn't get any more foam. I added a half spoon of sugar to see if it had exhausted all sugar but, that did not yield any Change in my situation. So yesterday I added a pinch of some fresh rapid rise yeast, which also didn't yield any result, I warmed up the jar with warm water, and it didn't seem to help either. I strained and tasted a sample and it was still really sweet and tasted about as alcoholic as a beer. and it is very cloudy (sorry i don't have a hydrometer) Any ideas as to whats wrong with my brew? or how i can restart my fermentation?? Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity1676 View Post
About three days ago i began a fermentation in a clean mason jar with, a cup of sugar, a quart of water, and some cider spices,I dissolved the sugar completely, added spices, i added two packs of some past date bread yeast, then I shook it up and in fifteen minutes i got some pretty decent foam forming in my mason jar. I loosened the lid to let C02 out, and the foam kept up until the next morning. The next morning was moderately cold around 40F and i wanted to see if it was still producing foam or if that was just some floating bubbles on top, so i shook it again, and didn't get any more foam. I added a half spoon of sugar to see if it had exhausted all sugar but, that did not yield any Change in my situation. So yesterday I added a pinch of some fresh rapid rise yeast, which also didn't yield any result, I warmed up the jar with warm water, and it didn't seem to help either. I strained and tasted a sample and it was still really sweet and tasted about as alcoholic as a beer. and it is very cloudy (sorry i don't have a hydrometer) Any ideas as to whats wrong with my brew? or how i can restart my fermentation?? Thanks in advance

Wow. Where to begin. Frankly I am hoping that this is all an early April Fools joke, but on the chance that it isn't...

When you say the mason jar was clean, did you just use soap and water. or did you also use a sanitizer like Star San?

Adding "cider spices" to water in an attempt to make cider is like adding vasoline to water in an attempt to make gasoline. It just won't work. Also, were there any preservatives in the "cider spices"?

When you disolved the sugar in the water, was it hot, or room temperature? How about the temperature of the solution when you added the yeast? By the way, using bread yeast is a bad idea, and using expired yeast is a bad idea. So when you use expired bread yeast, that is a bad idea squared.

A temp of 40F will make yeast go dormant. If you let it get back to room temp (65 - 75), it may continue to ferment.

If you are really serious about brewing cider, get the following equipment:
1 gallon glass jug / carboy ($5.00)
Rubber stopper to fit 1 gallon glass jug ($1.00)
Airlock ($2.00)
Hydrometer ($7.00)
Wine or Ale yeast ($1.50)
Preservative free apple juice ($3.50)

So, approximately $20 to start, and about $5 every time you want to remake a batch.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
sanity1676
Recipes 

Sorry about that, Im just starting, im looking for simple recipes for wines and stuff. I used bleach to sterilize then rinsed with water. And i loosened the cap. Soon im making a homemade airlock from some vinyl tubing. Sorry i sound so ignorant, Im on my first brews, and all I have is bread yeast. Ive had a successful wine with grape juice, and am currently experimenting with pineapple juice, I heat them to dissolve sugar, always. Thanks for your reply. Im just totally new to home-brewing.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

underage brewer...

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

You probably maxed out the alcohol tolerance of the bread yeast.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Quick Reply