Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Cider "Brew" Log. Suggestions please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
briewer2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Cider "Brew" Log. Suggestions please

I dont even know if its called brewing. Ive never done cider before, but I figured it was a good idea since I can just use my brewing equipment.
So I have a very good local apple orchard about ten minutes from me. I knew they pressed fresh every tuesday, so I called and had them set aside 5 gallons. The stuff is pasturized (I dont know if by UV or heat) but has no preservatives.
Basically I just loaded 5 gallons in the carboy, added a dose of yeast nutrient, pumped some pure o2 in it, proofed some redstar champagne yeast, dumped that in, and stuck it in the 65 degree ferment fridge. Sound good so far?
I plan in leaving it about ten days primary, two weeks secondary. Then i think im going to cold shock it in a corny keg, add a thing of apple juice concentrate and force carb it.
Sound good to everyone? Is one packet of redstar enough? Thanks for any advice.
-B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

keep an eye on the SG. Champagne yeast will ferment it out very dry. You may also want to extend your time table. Cider is much better with age. Typically I let mine bulk age for a year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply