Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First cider batch started

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
truekey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

On second thought I heard about collecting mini bottles or using the plastic bottle trick to check carbonation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade

That is why I am in love with cider! You can use almost any fruit at it doesn't have to be sweet...
Me too! Berries or 100% juice added to change up the flavor. Yummy.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekey
On second thought I heard about collecting mini bottles or using the plastic bottle trick to check carbonation.
I bottle 5 gal. into 50-51 12 oz. bottles and a plastic bottle. When the plastic bottle gets hard I test a glass bottle a day til I'm happy then pasteurize. Then I put 48 bottles (2 cases) away for 5-6 months min. and flavor really comes out.

I have not yet back sweetened so the bottle bombs are not a big fear. But I feel safer about a pasteurized product, no live organisms.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't bother to backsweeten. Took a reading and got just above 1 on the hydrometer and decided since they ferment out a bit lower than 1 that I could just bottle it now and get a low carb on it. Bottling one gallon was stupidly simple with an auto siphon and a wand. Took all of maybe 10 minutes to bottle.

Tasting again now (I had a little extra) and the nottingham yeast really comes through towards the end. Very high acidity but still has an apple taste to it this early. I will carb for a few days, check, and then cold crash until february when I serve 'em. Hopefully in a month they won't taste worse than better.... I've heard some things about brews getting worse before they get better on the forums.

This was so easy that next time I will do a 5 gallon batch in my bucket. Also, I'm super interested in making graf with some dark extract and brewers gold I got lying around.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't bother to backsweeten. Took a reading and got just above 1 on the hydrometer and decided since they ferment out a bit lower than 1 that I could just bottle it now and get a low carb on it. Bottling one gallon was stupidly simple with an auto siphon and a wand. Took all of maybe 10 minutes to bottle.

Tasting again now (I had a little extra) and the nottingham yeast really comes through towards the end. Very high acidity but still has an apple taste to it this early. I will carb for a few days, check, and then cold crash until february when I serve 'em. Hopefully in a month they won't taste worse than better.... I've heard some things about brews getting worse before they get better on the forums.

This was so easy that next time I will do a 5 gallon batch in my bucket. Also, I'm super interested in making graf with some dark extract and brewers gold I got lying around.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
chmcarro
Recipes 

I'm very interested in your progress with this. Just yesterday I started my first cider as well. Our batches should be very similar. 5 gallons of Target brand Apple Cider with 2 packs of Muntons, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, tannin, and about 2lbs of sugar. O.G. 1.065. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? If/when to do secondary fermentation, additions, and when to keg? I'm worried that if I let this get to 1.00 I will have 8.5% alcohol, too little fruit flavor, and not sure about acidity. Any tips appreciated.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
alexroussos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcarro View Post
I'm very interested in your progress with this. Just yesterday I started my first cider as well. Our batches should be very similar. 5 gallons of Target brand Apple Cider with 2 packs of Muntons, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, tannin, and about 2lbs of sugar. O.G. 1.065. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? If/when to do secondary fermentation, additions, and when to keg? I'm worried that if I let this get to 1.00 I will have 8.5% alcohol, too little fruit flavor, and not sure about acidity. Any tips appreciated.
I'd add everything but the tannin during primary. You should adjust tannin to taste in the finished cider.

It sounds like you want some residual sweetness and are also kegging. Generally you would let the cider reach 1.000 (or lower) and then backsweeten with apple concentrate/honey/other sweetener, and either add sorbate or store in the fridge to prevent refermentation.

Another technique I've played around with is stopping the fermentation short when I like the taste/sweetness (around 1.008) with sorbate and force carbonating. The drawback here is your yeast don't get a chance to "clean up" but if you're happy with the taste then that's not a problem. I find the appleyness is much better this way than anything you can achieve by backsweetening, so it's sort of a tradeoff.

Quick Reply