Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First cider batch started

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
truekey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First cider batch started

Doing a test gallon of cider after reading this forum. Gravity of apple juice was 1.050, added a can of concentrate which only boosted the SG to 1.060. Still, I didn't want to run out to the store to get another can so I added half a tsp of yeast nutrient, shook, and added half a package of Nottingham ale yeast.

I will post pictures as this experiment goes further...

Thanks to everyone for posting their recipes and ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds good, truekey. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

First batches........ It's like popping the cherry...

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been 24 hours or so and it's bubbling every couple seconds from my blowoff tube. No crazy fermentation. I added another 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient which brings it to the recommended 1 tsp per gallon. It fizzled like crazy when I dropped it into my primary.

I definitely love beer but the idea of pitching yeast into some juice and getting a gallon of home made alcohol is awesome compared to my 4-5 hr brew day.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekey
Been 24 hours or so and it's bubbling every couple seconds from my blowoff tube. No crazy fermentation. I added another 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient which brings it to the recommended 1 tsp per gallon. It fizzled like crazy when I dropped it into my primary.

I definitely love beer but the idea of pitching yeast into some juice and getting a gallon of home made alcohol is awesome compared to my 4-5 hr brew day.
That is why I am in love with cider! You can use almost any fruit at it doesn't have to be sweet...

Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Crazy fermentation now, cider looks like when you open a fresh bottle of seltzer.

I was considering adding some mulling spices from my secondary, or just using some ginger. Question:

Can I drop spices/ginger into the secondary, or should I make an extract by boiling out ingredients or having it sit in hard liquor?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
xjbobbin82
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I started my first 1 gallon batch of cider last night. Woke up this morning and the airlock was bubbling every 10-15 seconds about 12 hrs after pitching. Can't wait to get home from work and see how it's going now!

Can anyone recommend when to rack to secondary? OG 1.065 champagne yeast and 1 tsp. nutrient. I want to bottle carb and I'm not all that worried about clearing or sweetness

Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbobbin82
I started my first 1 gallon batch of cider last night. Woke up this morning and the airlock was bubbling every 10-15 seconds about 12 hrs after pitching. Can't wait to get home from work and see how it's going now!

Can anyone recommend when to rack to secondary? OG 1.065 champagne yeast and 1 tsp. nutrient. I want to bottle carb and I'm not all that worried about clearing or sweetness
Rack to secondary three weeks or months after....
Most of the time.
But some guys rack as soon as fermentation is finished and sometimes that can be as quick as two weeks.....
If I were you I'd let it sit in there for about three weeks and take a reading with your hydrometer and see where it is, if it's done rack it

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
alexroussos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekey View Post
Crazy fermentation now, cider looks like when you open a fresh bottle of seltzer.

I was considering adding some mulling spices from my secondary, or just using some ginger. Question:

Can I drop spices/ginger into the secondary, or should I make an extract by boiling out ingredients or having it sit in hard liquor?
I've done this both ways -- dropping into secondary and making tea/extract -- with ginger, cardamom, pink peppercorns, cinnamon sticks and orange peel (separate batches).

Generally, I've preferred the tea/extract method to just dropping into the secondary as I found it to give a much cleaner, fresher flavor. Dropping them into the carboy seemed to extract less aroma and make the spices taste a bit stale or musty.

Soaking spices in vodka for a week seems to do the trick and I think it captures and preserves more aroma than steeping in boiling water. Boiling water also tends to extract some harsher flavors in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
alexroussos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbobbin82 View Post

A word of caution, since you mention this is your first batch and may be relatively new to brewing as well: remember that with cider, your FG may be lower than 1.000 due to the all sugars in apple juice being fermentable and alcohol being less dense than water. I rushed to bottle my first batch and had a lot of explosions. It's not uncommon to hit an FG of 0.996, so just make sure your fermentation is really complete.

Quick Reply