Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Cider Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
bluespook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Cider Batch

Guys--A couple of hours ago I pitched my first cider batch, and am as excited as a four-year old! Took me a while to clean and sterilize everything because I'm new to the concept...I did some ciders when I was a kid with my Dad, but as best I can remember, we didn't pay that much attention to the bad creepy crawlies. I soaked the little parts in iodaphor and then stand there with each one as I took it out of the sanitizing bucket trying to figure out where to put the darn thing so it wouldn't get buggy. I'll work on the process a bit.

This thread doesn't ask a question or make any earth shaking comment, but I felt the need to tell someone other than my wife (btw, am I supposed to refer to her as the SWOB or whatever I've seen used?)

Blue

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

SWMBO, if it applies means She Who Must Be Obeyed, its your opinion if it fits her or not haha.

Congrats on the first brew, I definitely know the pure excitement and just having to tell someone, that was me about 8 or 9 months ago. I now have 3 batches bottles, and 6 aging, so yeah its kind of addicting.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
bluespook
Recipes 

Tusch--"She Who Must Be Obeyed" was the phrase used by Rumpole, a character in a British book, or series of books. He was a funny guy who was hen-pecked to the point of...well, you know. Anyway, thanks for filling me in.

Think I'll go buy some more juice this weekend and shoot for another batch next week. In this first batch, I was a quart shy of 5 gallons (don't know how that happened, some gremlin I suppose), so I filled in with white grape juice. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Blue

Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Congrats on the first brew, I definitely know the pure excitement and just having to tell someone, that was me about 8 or 9 months ago. I now have 3 batches bottles, and 6 aging, so yeah its kind of addicting.
Oh man, I think everyone I know wants to kill me because I'll prattle on about beer non-stop.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
CiderRat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bluespook -
I am still a newbie at this too (only three batches). But it is definitely exciting in a strange sort of way to to watch the fruits of your labor change juice into something something that so wonderful so that you can disobey SWMBO.
CiderRat

Primary: Air waiting
Secondary: Air waiting
Bottle Conditioning:
None
Bottle Drinking:
What ever is in the basement

Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
bluemonkey321
Recipes 

yeah i talk about beer none stop as well, once you start home brewing as well you become really picky about beer as well

Bottled - Cider, 80 +/-
Fermenting - Nothing

Quick Reply