The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First cider attempt.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
carmo100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First cider attempt.

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

After recently deciding to try my hand at home brewing, I thought I'd give cider a shot. My first question concerns the ingredients. I'm able to get some apple juice from a local orchard that is pasteurised and preservative free, however they offer both a clear juice and a "full body juice". I assume the difference is that the clear juice has been filtered more than the latter. Which would be best for cider making?

Also, I was thinking of creating a blend of apple and pear juice and fermenting that along with brown sugar, I assume there is no problem with combining juices like this?

Any advice/suggestions/criticism is much apprectiated, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
outstretched
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Either would be fantastic for cider making as cider is suppose to finish clear. I'd guess you'd get more flavor from the pulped version simply because of the fruit still being in there.

No problem combining juices.

Advice/Suggestions:
I love Nottingham Ale yeast.

Get a hydrometer and get a reading before you add your yeast so you can calculate the ABV afterwards and so you don't start a "Is my cider finished thread" because when it levels out for a few days then it is done.

Leave it for at least 2 weeks before even thinking of messing with it.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
carmo100
Recipes 

Great, I think I'll stick to the clear juice as it's going to be slightly easier for me to get.

I'll look for Nottingham Ale yeast if I can find it here, it seems like many people favour it for ciders. And I've got a hydrometer so I'm all set

One other question, I'll have just bottled the lager I'm brewing at the moment in the bottles that came with the fermenter and so will need to get some more bottles for the cider. Is there any real advantages/disadvantages to using plastic bottles over glass? As I can either invest in some more plastic bottles, or a capper for use on recycled glass bottles.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1674

I invested in 1 liter flip-tops like these:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/case-...les-amber.html
No capping, no caps, reuseable, stylish & easy. The only thing you ever need to buy is every so often you need to replace the rubber seals, but they last for several bottlings & are cheap.
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply