first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlg779

Reaction score
I just started my first cider just wondered what you think

4.5 gallons apple juice
24 Oz frozen concentrate
1 cup brown sugar disolved in 1 cup water
1 packet safale 05

I currently have a one gallon bottle of raw cider from the local trees. I added 15 ml of ESB1968 yeast to the fermenter (I robbed it from my batch of beer) and no additional sugar. I didn't check the SG, but after about six or eight hours the airlock was busy. I wanted to not rush anything, so I kept waiting three days, three days, etc., and at the end of two weeks, I still had bubbles. I tasted it to see if wild yeasts had infected, and if it was, I couldn't taste it. I am now in secondary and have about three quarts plus or minus clearing out. I have kept the cider below 66F the entire time. Sometimes as cool as 61F. I have read and read from this forum, and couldn't be better informed from anywhere.
My wife purchased a six pack of Angry Orchard Hard Cider, and I hoped my hard cider didn't finish like the AO did. I really didn't like it.. I thought it tasted watered down, with nothing notable at all.

Just opened the first bottle very clear with great carbonation but has a little bot of a hot acohol taste wondering if a little more time in the fridge would help only chilled for a few hours

Fast forward 2 months later; my gallon jug of cider was still fermenting, so I added 1 can of aj concentrate in late October, and the taste was like nail polish and alcohol. Somewhere around a month ago, I juiced enough apples to make about 4 gallons of juice, and pitched ESB 1968 again from an ale yeast cake. It is fermenting nicely at "room" temp.I don't have another fermometer for that bucket, but I'll guess it's about the same as the yeast has already been busy a while. Taking one last shot to save the firewater from the gallon jug, I poured it into the four gallons of cider and hoped. Three days later it is still fermenting, and has a nice apple flavor. I'll keep an eye on it, and let you guys know what happens. I ran out of airlocks, so I just put a lid on it and bleed the pressure off every one or two days.

Well three months later in pulled a couple of bottles tastes a lot better still a little yeasty

Back