Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > first cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
colonel_colon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first cider

I'm going crazy due to some severe impatience...
So I have my first cider bubbling away in the basement, the cider came from the orchard down the street. It went from a crusher straight to my carboy (which they let me fill up).
So its bubbling away using the good ole new hampshire strain of yeast and I dont know what to do with it when I go to bottle.
I can't figure out if I want to carbonate or not. If I do should I use honey or molasses instead of corn sugar? Or do I keep it still?
I really liked the idea of adding in some tea at bottling time to make this more of winter drink (zest of orange, cinnamon, ginger, clove, etc.).
Any ideas?
I feel like I should get about fifty more gallons going that way I can experiment.
So if anyone has any ideas than that would be great. I'm not big into sparkling cider or using champagne yeast, I would rather more of a mulled approach if that tells you where i'm coming from.
Peace!

Bottled: English Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Why not rack off a gallon to you bottling bucket, add something (or not) & bottle. Then do something different with the next gallon, etc? Certainly it will take longer to do the bottling, but that's one advantage of bottles over kegs; more chances for experimenting. I prefer very lightly carbonated ciders, so I just put them at 5 psi for serving.

If you like mulled cider, there's no reason to not start a second batch, since mulling is done just before drinking.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-12-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
pariah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Why not rack off a gallon to you bottling bucket, add something (or not) & bottle. Then do something different with the next gallon, etc? Certainly it will take longer to do the bottling, but that's one advantage of bottles over kegs; more chances for experimenting. I prefer very lightly carbonated ciders, so I just put them at 5 psi for serving.

If you like mulled cider, there's no reason to not start a second batch, since mulling is done just before drinking.
/threadjack

If I carbonate my cider in bottles, will I still be able to mull it? Or will the carbonation mess it up...?

/threadjack

Quick Reply