Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > first batch apfelwein not going well

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
kingzog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first batch apfelwein not going well

I made a 1 Gal batch up last week. I used Apple & Eve 100 % Apple Juice made from concentrate. I pitched the yeast and no activity for two days. I was away for a week and when I came back there is still no activity that I can see. The room has been at 60-64 degrees. Can I fix this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
mischief
Recipes 

Lower temps do make for a slower yeast activity. You might try waiting more, or you could try re-pitching and increasing the temp around the primary.

I had a mead that did something similar but after a week of leaving it be, I tasted it and it was fermenting. It just hadn't had any of the foam/color changes to show that it was.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What are you looking for in terms of "Activity"? I recall reading that you won't see much activity at all. No krausen or anything.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzog
I made a 1 Gal batch up last week. I used Apple & Eve 100 % Apple Juice made from concentrate. I pitched the yeast and no activity for two days. I was away for a week and when I came back there is still no activity that I can see. The room has been at 60-64 degrees. Can I fix this?
First, raise the fermentation temp. 10f. You didn't name your yeast. If you used Montrachet, you should get periodic low foaming (not kraeusen). If ec1118, nothing except jillions of tiny bubbles bursting at the surface when observed in reflected light off the surace. If WL English cider, a quick kraeusen, then a slow, long activity. If WY Cider, then about the same as Montrachet. If California Ale, then a true kraeusen, and vigorous fermentation. If WL Dry English Ale, then about the same as california ale. All of the mentioned yeasts produce a different flavour profile, but my favorite is Montrachet. My least favorite is ec1118.

Also important, there should be nothing in your juice except maybe some ascorbic acid. No Sorbate or other preservatives. Pasteurization is fine.

Good luck......

Old 11-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
kingzog
Recipes 

It was Montrachet yeast. I'll try to warm it up. Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
stinkiestbink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

check your gravity. the same happened to me a few weeks ago. i started at 1.047, (just cider, no adjuncts) and saw no activity for 2 weeks. one night i racked it and the gravity was 1.000. now it has turned yellow and is slowly clearing.

Quick Reply