New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First applejack....mmmmm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
hehawbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrux

Thanks for the reply. Did you ferment at a controlled temp or just at room temp.
Thanks

Jeremy
Room temperature . Between 70-75 if I had to guess.

Out of two gallon, I got around 56oz between what' I bottled and what I saved for my sample drink.

It's def a drink that needs to breath a bit and sipped on to get the full flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Utilityengineer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

this is a theoretical question so please feel free to tell me to remove it if I cross a line. but since Methanol has a lower vaporization point than Ethanol, would it be possible to (for lack of a better term) cook or 'pasteurize' the already freeze-concentrated AJ to get rid of methanol and reduce the harmful stuff but keep the good booze?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilityengineer View Post
this is a theoretical question so please feel free to tell me to remove it if I cross a line. but since Methanol has a lower vaporization point than Ethanol, would it be possible to (for lack of a better term) cook or 'pasteurize' the already freeze-concentrated AJ to get rid of methanol and reduce the harmful stuff but keep the good booze?
Interesting idea. What are the points of each and water is 212. You'd have to walk the fine line of maintaining the temp between the two for a length of time throughout the batch. Seems difficult.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
Utilityengineer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF View Post
Interesting idea. What are the points of each and water is 212. You'd have to walk the fine line of maintaining the temp between the two for a length of time throughout the batch. Seems difficult.
according to wikipedia, the respective boiling points are 148º F for Methanol, and 173º F for Ethanol. on paper, I think the hard part would be finding an effective temperature control for an electric stove, but whether or not it would do any good is still unknown.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
stevetree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe a double boiler like for melting chocolate? That way the pot doesn't actually come into contact with the burner. Not sure if it will work, but let us know.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Kashue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm gonna try this this week with some cider I made from nothing but concentrate. It's frozen right now, so just a matter of sitting it out tonight, I guess! Think I'll just put a colander in a big stock pot and tip the jug into it. Will report results!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Kashue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just finished, er, jacking. Yep, jackin' it in my kitchen.

Impressions:
-Jesus, this stuff is strong. The ice cider it was based on was already pretty potent but this is just hellacious. It tastes like someone melted apple jolly ranchers in whiskey.
-The viscosity is pretty high. Much thicker than a grain spirit or even brandy. It's kind of like rum. Perhaps a lower sugar initial batch would make it thinner.
-I got back about 1/3 of my initial volume. Toward the end some of my ice wasn't giving up it's apple-ness and the rest was melting, though. If my jug that i was distilling from was less contoured than the apple juice jug i used, it would probably have yielded about 2/5 of my total as liquor.
-Although it burns going down, it does not literally burn, putting it below 51% alcohol. HOWEVER, a lit match placed in it flares before going out, so it's close.

Overall it's a neat experiment, but I'm not sure if I'll really repeat it. Unlike cider it's not something I think I'd drink with great regularity. On the upside, bottling it let me try out my new capper, so for the first time in my life if someone asks me what I did on my lunch break I can say "grabbed a whole bunch of liquor and headed for my Ferrari," and that's pretty rad.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #28
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

It's nice to make every now and then. Simple. Cheap. STRONG!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #29
likafox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJ View Post
Thx for the tips, i just made some high OG AJ, now to ferment it out and freeze it good thing i have a friend who is a chemist at the Stella cider factory here in Belgium so he can check the result on any 'nasties'
Let us know what you find out

Quick Reply