Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First apfelwein oops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
newkarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Took a hydrometer reading today it was 1.002. Another couple weeks and it should be done fermenting Tasted great just a little alcohol twang. Considering that its at about 10.8% abv right now it will be pretty dangerous. Im going to let this age for awhile and start a new batch in my 3gal carboy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You'll know when it's done, as it will go completely clear again. I wouldn't bother with the secondary, it's really not necessary for Apfelwein as it will clear up beautifully right in the primary and leave a perfectly white, silty yeast cake.

You're right to let it age a good long time, particularly with the extra "kick" you inadvertently gave it. OTOH, don't bother with a new 3 gallon batch...get 5 gallons going!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
newkarian
Recipes 

Default Update

Took a sample today. Its crystal clear with SG @ 0.996. I think it is pretty close to done fermenting so I am thinking about bottling it this weekend and letting it age in the bottle for about 6 monts. I was thinking of carbing with 1/2 can of apple concentrate for a little more apply goodness. ABV is 11.7% at this point and the sample I tasted it was hardly noticable with a faint fruity/apply backnote. Its gonna be good

Quick Reply