Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A few quick questions from a noob cider brewer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
wdtunstall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A few quick questions from a noob cider brewer...

I have been brewing mead and beer for about 2 years now so I'm not a total noob when it comes to brewing but I do have a couple of questions:

1 - I bought cider from Walmart and it was cloudy as crap but had a great apple flavor. Is there any hope of this clearing up? If not it's no biggie.

2 - I have come across a few recipes that call for Allspice beans and nutmeg pods. I have ground (powdered) allspice and nutmeg. How much ground spice equals the whole bean / pod?

3 - I added 4 Granny Smith apples (diced) to the primary. Was this a good or bad Idea. I was trying to get more apple flavor and was told that tart apples would do the trick.

Thank you, in advance, for any advice or answers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
criptrap
Recipes 

I have always used fresh pressed juice. It has always been cloudy but clears just fine within 3 months. Not sure about spices I have never tried them in cider. Fresh apple most likely won't be a problem (sanitation wise) I don't treat my fresh juice at all and pitch Nottingham dry 11g packet during pressing per 5 gallons and I have not had any problems. When you rack you may want to use a screen.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
wdtunstall
Recipes 

You press your own apples!? Wow. How many apples does it take for a 5 gallon batch? What kind do you use?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

different varieties contain different percentages of juice; with some cooking apples it's like getting blood from a stone but some sweet ones are really juicy. also depends on how you press/juice them. for really juicy ones i generally get about 1 liter from 1.5 kilograms. i'm sure there is a way to get that into gallons, flagons and yards....?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
criptrap
Recipes 

Blood from a stone sounds about right dinnerstick , Last year I got 17 gallons from a small pickup bed full of apples using the garden way basket screw press. I suspect more time under pressure, sweating before pressing, and force would have produced a better yield. I had access to eating variety apples rough percentages are 60% granny smith, 5% Macintosh 5% crabs 30% a mixture of other eating varieties. The crab apples were an ornamental variety and really did not yield well because the grinder basically never touched them. I also bottled with a sumac (staghorn) infused priming solution. Overall the results were well received and the cider of 2009 is gone.

Quick Reply