A few questions: K-meta cloudy? Dissolve honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelsas

Reaction score
My first time making cider and I have a few questions:

1) I've treated 10 gallons unpasteurized cider with k-meta (aiming for 50 ppm) and left 5 gallons untreated to ferment naturally. The treated stuff is much cloudier after 20 hours of treatment than the untreated stuff. Is this normal? Did I use too much k-meta?

2) My plan is to ferment 1 5 gallon batch just cider, 1 5 gallon batch cider + 3lb honey. Can I just dump the honey in? Or do I need to really dissolve the honey in some cider and then mix it back into the carboy?

3) Anyone have experience with Lavin D-47? LHBS guy recommended it and said it would leave a little residual sweetness.

(The apple juice is from Wexford PA, Soergel's orchard http://www.soergels.com/ pressed two days ago.)

Did I use too much k-meta?

Its been a while since I've used k-meta. I dont recall it making the cider cloudy, although it is reacting with the juice, so I suppose thats possible. as long as you didnt add more than 1/4tsp in 5 gal you should be OK

Can I just dump the honey in?

I just pour the honey in and roll the carboy on the floor for about 5 min until it dissolves. That works great if you have a better bottle with a gum stopper, might not work as well with glass.

Anyone have experience with Lavin D-47? LHBS guy recommended it and said it would leave a little residual sweetness

D47 makes for a dry cider. Just about any yeast will dry out the cider, ale yeasts are easiest to stop

Thanks! Hmm.. I think I did use too much k-meta. I did something between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons, but waited about 36 hours to pitch. Doesn't seem to be affecting the yeast I pitched since fermentation is proceeding along nicely. Will any off flavors from the k-meta dissipate over time?

I ended up dissolving the honey in 1/2 gallon of warm cider (100F maybe) then mixed it back into the carboy.

The carboy w/ honey is developing a very fluffy krausen with really tiny bubbles. The bubbles on the one with no honey are popping almost immediately on the surface with very little krausen built up on the surface.

Will any off flavors from the k-meta dissipate over time?

Yes, the k-meta taste usually fades in 2-8 weeks with ale yeast. Also the k-meta taste is generally not as prominent with wine yeasts, so likely sooner

Back