Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A few questions before I begin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
wiredpanic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A few questions before I begin

My first and most important question is about pasteurizing. Using the sticky up top I read all about pasteurizing bottles once you have your desired level of carbonation, but I would like to know is if once it is pasteurized can it be unrefrigerated without fear of a potential bottle bomb? Mainly I don't have the fridge space and would be able to keep them in a cooler area, but not the temp of a fridge

Second question is how much different is apple juice with lots of sugar vs. actual cider? Is there a huge flavor difference?

Reusing beer bottles for bottling, is that a bad idea? I was gonna buy some, but as a college student all the bottles I come by would save a little green in the long run.

Also any other tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
Thomas007
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Once it's pasteurized the yeast are dead, so if you do it right there should be no explosions.

I'm really not sure how people get a good result with added sugar, since even without it the fermentation tends to remove any apple flavor. It would probably be better to add concentrated apple juice instead of sugar, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. The best thing to do is to get juice from actual cider apples, but I don't think it's easy to find.

I think everyone reuses beer bottles, just make sure they aren't the twist-off kind.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
wiredpanic
Recipes 

Would you recommend to splurge and go for glass carboys right away? Or should I start small with basic buckets? Also would it work to have one glass carboy, one bottling bucket, and after primary switch to a second container, wash the carboy and move it back in to save some money from the get go?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Thomas007
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've only done 1-gallon batches so far, and I use either glass jugs or plastic milk jugs. Many people will tell you that there's no reason to use glass carboys over buckets, though.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Depending on how serious you are about brewing (it's addicting) go for the glass or better bottle PET plastic carboys. I use apple juice concentrate to back sweeten. I also reuse beer bottles all the time, just make sure you sanitize the crap outta them.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpanic
Would you recommend to splurge and go for glass carboys right away? Or should I start small with basic buckets? Also would it work to have one glass carboy, one bottling bucket, and after primary switch to a second container, wash the carboy and move it back in to save some money from the get go?
It is a good idea to get two carboys if your going to do any secondary transferring. Once you get started you can't stop, also get some sanitizer, look at northern brewer for supplies, I get all my stuff from them.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've never used any juices with High Fructose Corn syrup in them and I've found that plain white table sugar produces some weird flavors (just my personal experience) I've used Brown Sugar quite a few times.

Aging your ciders in a secondary vessel or just letting them sit in the bottles for an extended time will usually bring the apple flavors back around. Certain yeasts are also said to strip some apple flavors. I use ale yeasts and they work best for me.

Homebrew buckets work fine for 5 gallon batches, but I personally wouldn't leave a cider in one for more than a month or so. I don't know if it's proven or not, but I wouldn't want to take the chance of a plastic taste or chemicals leaching into my ciders. (again, just personal opinion) Also if you ever do get a small scratch in one it becomes a nice little hidey-hole for crusties to cling to.

Glass is easy to clean, works great for long storage and you can watch the cool stuff going on during fermentation. An empty milk crate is nice to put the carboys in so you can move them around or slide it a little. I would just avoid carry handles that attach to the neck. I've heard stories of people breaking carboys when they are full and could do some serious damage to your feet and legs if you drop them.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
wiredpanic
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies, but in terms of plastic has anyone had luck with one of the Better Bottle brand plastic carboys?

And I've read a few people actually backsweaten with more cider/juice. Can anyone here attest to that method?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
bigego236
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpanic
Thanks for all the replies, but in terms of plastic has anyone had luck with one of the Better Bottle brand plastic carboys?

And I've read a few people actually backsweaten with more cider/juice. Can anyone here attest to that method?
I have back sweetened with left over juice but I didn't let it ferment all the way out. It still had a little apple flavor and sweetness to it, I just wanted a bit more. Plus it was a one gallon batch, if it were anything big I would of used ajc.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

I use better bottles all the time, have 3 five gallon bottles. I used apple juice concentrate to back sweeten if needed. It's simple and it just works.

Quick Reply